Chalcedony - an Holistic View Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Chalcedony - an Holistic View

6 Conversations

Chalcedony is a type of quartz that is found in Brazil, India, Madagascar, Uruguay and the USA. It is a cryptocrystalline mineral which outwardly resembles an amorphous substance but retains an inner crystalline structure. This crystalline structure and banding may only be seen using a microscope (microcrystalline). All crystals in the chalcedony group form from thin layers of tiny quartz fibres. This fibrous structure gives it toughness and makes it ideal for carving. It is porous and may be dyed with a variety of metallic salts. Chalcedony may be coloured green by chromium. Below is the 'techie' bit:

  • SiO2Silicate Group, subgroup Quartz
  • Mohs' Hardness 7
  • Specific Gravity 2.6
  • Fracture and o. Phys. Props. con-choidal
  • Crystal System Trigonal

The Holistic View

Treating a patient holisticaly is to treat them as a whole person, incorporating mind, body and spirit within the treatment, as well as the specific ailment or disease that is apparently causing concern. Complementary therapies have become prevalent in the past few years, crystal healing being just one among the many.

Listed below are some of the qualities a healer should either learn to use, or come to terms with:

  • Faith, facing fears, forgiveness
  • Anger (releasing of),ambivalence
  • Intuition, intent, integrity
  • Truth, trust, temperance
  • Hope, heart, harmony

What Does a Crystal Healer Do?

There are as many ways of doing crystal healing as there are crystal healers. It is important to note that the healer is a channel for spirit. Each healer has their own style, as guided by spirit. The main criteria are:

  • Cleansing crystals
  • Meditating on the crystal
  • Asking spirit for guidance in healing the patient
  • Balancing the chakras and cleansing the aura
  • Visualisation
  • Drink plenty of water

Intuition and Crystals

When we are young, we have the inherent ability to recognise things, for example, dogs. We don't know how we do it then, and we don't understand now, it is just something we are born with. In a pushchair, a toddler may see a dog on the street and know it is a dog. He knows it is not a cat or a mouse - they look different. It doesn't matter if the dog is a huge, hairy St Bernard or a white, cuddly Highland Terrier; he can tell the difference between the two and still come to the conclusion that both are dogs, even though they look totally different and may not look like pictures he has seen. He has the inherent ability to recognise something for what it is, and at the same time distinguish between different branches of the same thing.

Similarly, some people believe that we are all born with the inherent ability to recognise the different types of minerals and crystals but this ability is something we have lost over time, as we grow older, and as the world has become more technologically advanced. After all, throughout history man has had a close relationship with minerals and crystals and has always been able to pick the right one for the job.

If we had the confidence to listen to our intuition, perhaps we could understand why we can tell the difference between cats and dogs and remember how to apply this instinctive knowledge to crystals.

The uses listed below serve only as a guide. Each crystal healer may have a different definition of the uses of crystals depending on the circumstances for their uses. Most crystal healers will not determine which crystals they are going to use until they have knowledge and understanding of their patient.

Chalcedony

Considered a member of the quartz family, chalcedony can be translucent, transparent or opaque, occasionally containing a small amount of opal.

Agate, bloodstone, chrysoprase, carnelian, chert, flint, jasper, onyx, sardonyx, touchstone, and petrified wood are all types of chalcedony. Chalcedony is particularly associated with the astrological signs of Cancer and Sagitarrius.

Blue Chalcedony

It is believed that this crystal helps with effective communication through listening, understanding and dissolving resistance to acceptance of new situations. It aids light-heartedness, self-awareness, improves memory, calms and dissolves stress. It also helps in diplomacy, creativity, openness to inspiration, respiratory problems due to colds and smoking, sensitivity to extreme weather changes, as an anti-inflammatory, eye and balance problems, lowering blood pressure and aids with water retention.

Green Chalcedony - Chrysoprase

The belief about this pale green crystal is that it balances yin-yang energy and helps align the chakras, especially opening the loving energy of the heart chakra. Instilling a state of grace within the user it facilitates meditation, compassion and clemency providing for non-judgmental attitudes and acceptance of self and others. It also helps a person accept themselves in terms of their mind, body and soul. It helps them get rid of all those nasty imperfect bits, can help to heal a broken heart, and understand how we are learning and growing. Green chalcedony reduces superiority or inferiority complexes and it has also been used to encourage fidelity in personal and business matters. This crystal can be used to treat heart disorders, increase dexterity, and helpful for those feeling frail and infirm.

Pink Chalcedony

The soft, gentle bubbly energy from this mineral is believed to be similar to rose quartz. It removes negativity and works on our inner child.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A861400

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more