The Cult of the Dictionary Readers

32 Conversations

Welcome to our Abode


Eccentrics, etymologists, linguists, and the rest of the language loving population may all often find themselves undertaking this task:

Reading the Dictionary

Library books on a shelf

Loved by many, today's modern dictionary is now a source for the meanings of words. Many more in depth editions also cover the orgins of these wonderful specimens. And there are many beings enamored with this concept, who often turn to the dictionary as a source of light reading material and entertainment.

The dictionary is mainly used by those seeking to increase knowledge, vocabulary, or proficientcy in spelling. Here at the Cult, we turn to the dictionary as a good friend, seeking to increase our understanding of our language.

Who we are


New members are always welcome to this cult. Just leave a message.

Some words to know


This list can be added to by posting in a conversation with an appropriate subject line. At some point I might get around to adding definitions, but for now consider this a list of recommended reading material. So pull out that dictionary and READ!
  • etymology
  • linguistics
  • abode
  • torpid
  • solipsistic
  • circumvagination
  • callypgian
  • sesquipedalian1
  • floccinaucinihilipilification2

Word of the Week

Demon Drawer has revived the popular Word of the Day feature with a column in the Post called Word of the Week. A great source of some very interesting words. So, anyone interested in zymurgy? Or do you prefer to discuss repairing aglets? All these words, and more, can be yours by visiting the Word of the Day Archive. But to expand beyond that listing you'll have to check out the Post.

Recommended Reading


Well, for starters, try your dictionary.
And then after that, if you're interested in etymology, I personally recommend Bill Bryson's book "The Mother Tongue: English and how it got that way". It also has lovely bits on different types of wordplay, like puns and anagrams, and other linguistic oddities, like the Spoonerism.
1but *only* because Renee wanted me to.2 Don't you want to know what this one means? I know you do. But I don't think I'll tell you. You'll have to look it up!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1004202

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more