The h2g2 Winter Party 2003 Caption Competition Results!

1 Conversation

Here are the adjudged results of the recent caption competition held by h2g2 after the pictures from the h2g2 Winter Party 2003 appeared.

It's become something of a tradition that after each Official h2g2 get-together some Researcher photos are culled and that the best are offered to the community to write witty1 captions.

This year's h2g2 Winter Party 2003 was no different, with 15 photos offered to the community. Competition details can be found here. Prizes were again offered to the winners and runners-up. And once again, we're amazed and impressed at the variety and quality of the entries.

With these preliminaries out of the way, bring on the results:

  • Wings of Gossamer
    1. VIP knew the fifth can of Red Bull had been a mistake.
      - Master B
    2. Where did I put that underwing deodorant?
      - Gnomon
    3. Ok, who glued rabbit ears to my back?
      - Croz

  • This Year's Love?
    1. We can't use the strawberry flavoured one, it's been in my collection since 1994!
      - Dr E Vibenstein
    2. Well, the bit of paper says we should do it like this...
      - Sergeant Mushroom
    3. Reading 'My Vision for Britain', by Tony Blair
      - Six7s

  • What a Pair!
    1. Hello Boys!
      - Gnomon
    2. The italics finally find a way to stop at least one member of the Community groping all the other members of the Community.
      - BluesShark
    3. Now that's what I call a balanced diet... a pint in each hand.
      - ARCHANGEL Dr St Justin

  • What a Pair! Part 2
    1. I duuno... I still think hers are bigger than yours
      - Tabitca
    2. Put those eyes away before they cause serious damage!
      - Shazz
    3. A nasty incident was averted when someone stopped Pastey before he could hit the 'reply' button.
      - KerrAvon

  • Weird Sisters
    1. Not being bird watchers, Mina and Ben misunderstood Anna's comment about the Great Tits.
      - KerrAvon
    2. Ben is saying... 'I look up to her, and I look down on her'
      - ARCHANGEL Dr St Justin
    3. Macbeth 'When shall we three meet again?'
      - Ix

  • Blinded by the Sun
    1. The researchers, most having pulled themselves away from their computers for the first time in many years, were amazed by their first sight of the sky. Most then stared too long, and panicked as the temporary blindness would prevent them from reading their conversations for at least... 5 minutes.
      - Lifson
    2. DIVE!


      Oh look, Brian Blessed and his hawkmen.

      - Munchkin
    3. The skilled pickpocket takes advantage of the Constructor Fleet's arrival.
      - (tonsil revenge)

  • Squaring Up
    1. The jury with the two finalists in the 'best pronounciation of YAY' competition.
      - Marjin
    2. The newest member of the 'stupid facial hair' society seems to have misunderstood the concept.
      - Egon
    3. Village People: 'It's fun to stay at the YMCA!'
      - Munchkin

  • Smoke Gets in my Eyes
    1. But if that's the Ark of the Covenant, where did we put the beer cooler?
      - Peet
    2. Damn! I just can't do that smoke-ship the way Gandalf can!
      - Fab
    3. Like any good party the atmosphere was important, and here atmosphere was thick enough to serve with a spoon.
      - Math

  • <smooch>
    1. Stop blowing in my ear! My head's gonna burst!
      - McKay
    2. Two earth researchers valiantly attempt a group sex experiment with the hyperintelligent ball of light and his invisible friend.


      Fourplay [sic] doesn't go so well when you can't see what you're kissing!

      - SEF
    3. Do that some more and I'll pull my lower lip over my nose!
      - (tonsil revenge)

  • <nahnah>
    1. h2g2 addiction became so bad that people subconsciously began creating their own open/close tags when expressing emotions.
      - Master B wins again
    2. The researchers were all a bit too drunk for a game of hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. One forgot his other ear, the next missed her eyes entirely but the photographer managed to save the game by chopping off the mouth of the third player.
      - SEF
    3. Despite what they had been told, sticking their fingers in their ears did nothing to enhance their popularity.
      - Tabitca

  • Tummy Trouble
    1. h2g2 Researchers queue up for their own custom h2g2 tattoos
      - Jimi X
    2. Go right ahead, but if anyone asks, I saw nothing.
      - Amy P
    3. The nozzle on this Very Inflatable Princess doll is hard to find
      - Gnomon

  • Angel Eyes
    1. The casting of 'Mini-Me' for the Austin Powers remake was causing all sorts of problems.
      - GreyDesk
    2. Critics claimed that 'Village of the Damned IV' wasn't quite as scary as its predecessors.
      - Master B
    3. Real Nexus Seven and Marjin: Whoa! The evil-robot usses beat us to the meet!


      Evil Nexus Seven and Marjin: Excellent! *airguitar*

      - Lifson Kofie

  • Marvin
    1. Nighthoover's return is not met with universal approval.
      - Otto Fisch
    2. I suppose you want me to pretend to have fun now.
      - SEF
    3. It was so unfair... he got to the crying in his beer stage much quicker than other people
      - Tabitca

  • A Corner of a Foreign Field...
    1. Nobody knew that Natalie had a secret ambition to be in the Harlem Globetrotters.
      - Croz
    2. Oh C'mon - Everyone knows the actions for Agadoo!
      - McKay
    3. With a sound like a million people saying 'wop', Natale appeared and seized the Heart Of Gold.
      - Master B

  • 2Legs
    1. 2legs, inconsolable at the news that Nighthoover has yet again failed to manifest at the meet, seeks solace in alcohol.
      - BluesShark
    2. Third-place winner of the All-England Shane McGowan Impersonators competition.
      - GreyDesk
    3. 2legs, inconsolable at the news that the meetup had alcohol, seeks solace in alcohol.
      - Croz

Abi and Jimi X

27.03.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Or at the very least, something with the ability to make the italics chuckle.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1008406

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more