Dalmarnock, Scotland, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Dalmarnock, Scotland, UK

3 Conversations

Dalmarnock is an area of Glasgow situated across the River Clyde from Rutherglen. It is connected to Rutherglen by a bridge, which was the site of the last lynching in the UK in the 1920s. Since which time, no one in the area has stated publicly that they vote Conservative.

Separated from Bridgeton by industrial units and from Parkhead by waste ground, Dalmarnock has a village-like quality, which can only be enhanced by the expected award of a lottery grant to thatch the roofs of the multi-storey flats.

The residents of this area are a friendly lot, and car-sharing is so popular that the owner's consent is never sought or expected. Similarly when a match is on at nearby Celtic Park, residents will show their concern about visiting fans in a variety of ways. Some will improve the ventilation system of the car by adding an al fresco touch to it, whilst others spare the occupants from the shock of an unexpected Celine Dion record on the way home by removing the sound system. A faction of the Air Liberation Front (ALF) is also active on matchdays, as many a lop-sided vehicle will testify to; however for a small fee the helpful local youngsters will look after your transport and prevent ALF raids on it.

A stay in Dalmarnock is thoroughly recommended to any adventure tourists wishing to see the 'real' Glasgow. Days can be spent on visits to the sewage works, meeting the local worthies in either of the tavernas, or watching the staged re-enactments of the last raids on the pharmacy or off-sales; but it is at night that the free street entertainment begins.

Come to Dalmarnock and see multiple urban deprivation at its best. You won't know you've lived until you leave.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A138304

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more