Dwarf Planets

2 Conversations


Dwarf planet is a category of planet created on 24th August 2006 in Prague by the International Astronomical Union.

What is a Dwarf Planet?



A dwarf planet is defined as an object that orbits the sun, has sufficient self-gravity to obtain a round shape, has not "cleared the neighbourhood" around its orbit, and is not a satellite of another planet, dwarf planet, or other non-stellar body.

Planets and Dwarf Planets Compared



Most of the requirements for the two are the same. The major difference is that a planet has "cleared the neighbourhood", while a dwarf planet has not. "Cleared the neighborhood" means that nearby asteroids are pulled into orbit around the planet as a moon.

Why do we have Dwarf Planets?

For many years, it was debated whether Pluto was an actual planet or not. People argued that if Pluto was a planet, so was the asteroid, Ceres; Pluto's moon, Charon; and 2003 UB313, an object orbiting the sun beyond Pluto. 2003 UB313 has recently been given the official name "Eris," after the Greek goddess of chaos.

After much debating, scientist decided to create a new category rather then force schoolchildren to learn the name of three extra planets.

A good number of astronomers don't like the new classification, calling it "embarassing" and "inconsistent."1

Which Bodies are Dwarf Planets?



Along with Pluto, both Ceres and Eris are classified as dwarf planets. Charon is now classified as a "small solar system body." There are other bodies that astronomers are thinking of considering as dwarf planets. Some sources claim that there are up to 45 such bodies. The following is a short list of potential dwarf planets.2

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A13925586

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more