Dross Pots Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Dross Pots

6 Conversations

Dross Pots can be found in most human habitats. They are essential items which house treasures gathered by their owners over many years.

They come in many forms:

  • A humorously ugly mug given as a gift but never intended to hold coffee.

  • A biscuit barrel or cookie jar which sadly never holds its intended contents because they are always consumed before they have a chance to be stored.

  • An ornamental pot given by a much loved maiden aunt and tucked out of view because it could never possibly conform to anyone's sense of taste.

Many humans, when setting up a new habitat, vigorously resist the use of Dross Pots but find they have to submit to the inevitable when they realise they have built a Dross Corner1.

The variations of treasures kept in Dross Pots are innumerable and often very personal, but amongst them you would generally find:

  • Small keys (for long-lost padlocks)
  • Buttons
  • Pen tops
  • Screws
  • Foreign coins
  • Hair grips
  • And drawing pins or thumb tacks2

When the inhabitants of the abode start to breed, the Dross Pot comes into its own. Alongside the aforementioned items are soon added such things as:

  • Nappy (diaper) pins
  • Stubs of wax crayons
  • Small plastic cracker toys
  • A pebble or two
  • Essential bits from board games
  • Hair slides or ribbons
  • And lots of "I am 4/5/6" badges

Unchecked, the Dross Pot's contents will grow at an alarming rate as owners seek a "safe place" to store the minutiae of life, compelling them to start a second or third Dross Pot or even, in extreme circumstances, a Dross Drawer.

The interesting thing about the Dross Pot is its ability to deny all knowledge of an item specifically placed in its care for safe-keeping. If the owner ever needs to retrieve the item desperately enough to up-end the Pot and spill its dusty, murky contents all over a nice clean work-surface, they will be re-united with items they desperately needed last week but they will never find the item of their immediate desire.

1An ugly appendage which you wouldn't want your mother to see.2Which are specifically there to drive their shafts behind the fingernails of anyone who dares to plunge their hand into the depths of the pot.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A157169

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more