Wolves

4 Conversations

Pre-Introduction


Wolves, in this case we're talking Canis Lupus, also known as the Grey Wolf, the Timber Wolf and the Arctic Wolf. Undoubtedly other entries will cover other species in due time.

Introduction

Canis Lupus, Timber Wolf; intelligent, social, maligned, endangered. For years reviled and hunted almost to extinction. Even in these so called enlightened days efforts at conservation are hampered. Sometimes by those with a valid gripe, such as farmers, but most often by those who refuse to learn about the Wolf. Billed as the fearsome maneater, the wiley predator who shows no mercy, the wolf has had centuries of bad press with very little justification.


Even if we ignore 'historical commentary', the wolf has fared badly in literature. It is often cast in the metaphorical slot of the 'adversary'; The three little pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, even many of Aesop's Fables (For example The Wolf and the Lamb).

Dry Facts

LengthUp to 1.8 meters (6 feet) including tail
Height84 to 96.5 cm (33 to 38 inches) at the shoulder
Average weight34 to 56kg (75 to 125 pounds)
M/F differenceMales can be up to 25% larger than females
Colour (color)Many shades of gray. May also range from white to black with many
combinations in between, including cream, tan, buff, sandy brown and reddish.
Size of PackVaries between less than seven to twenty (due partly to availability of prey)
MatingAround January or February (depending on latitude)
Gestation63 days
Litter Size3 to 10 pups
DietMoose, deer, elk, caribou, bison, beaver, rabbits and mice.
SpeedUp to 35 miles an hour for short distances. 5 miles an hour indefinitely

The Pack


Wolves are highly social animals who typically live in packs of 5 to 10 wolves, usually related, and function as a highly co-operative family unit.

The Heirarchy


In every pack there is a leader, most usually male, known as the Alpha Male (or in the case of the lead female, the Alpha Female). The Alpha and his/her mate comprise the Alpha pair. The Alpha leads the hunt and makes the important decisions concerning the welfare of the entire pack. Just below the Alpha is the Beta wolf (the second ranking male) and below that the subordinates (wolves of both sexes). At the bottom of the heirarcy is the Omega wolf. This wolf, either male or female, is the scapegoat and bears the brunt of the pack's frustrations and harrassment. It will usually be the last to feed and in times when food is scarce may go without entirely.

From the wolf comes the strength of the pack.
From the pack comes the strength of the wolf.
-Kipling


The pack relies on pack stability and co-operation to bring down large game. However when larger game is scarce, larger packs may break down into smaller groups to hunt smaller prey.

The Hunt


Wolves hunting techniques show great intelligence and skill. The leader appears to assign various pack members to start the chase, then brings in other pack members to 'relieve' the initial group so they can rest briefly. In this way all of the members of the hunt are available for the kill and not exhausted by the time the prey is.

Mating


Alpha pairs, once formed, usually stay together for life. Only the Alpha pair have the privelege of mating and breeding when the females come into season at the end of each Winter. During this time the Alpha pair actively court each other, nuzzling and grooming each other, showing great affection. This courtship can go on for a few weeks during which time lower ranking wolves take advantage of the 'distraction' of the Alphas to compete for a new place in the heirarchy. It can be a time of high tension in the pack. Often the Alpha pair will seek privacy away from the pack.

Communication

Wolves communicate in a variety of ways; vocally and with body language.

We listened for a voice crying in the wilderness.

And we heard the jubilation of wolves!
-Durward L. Allen

Vocally

Body Language


Wolves have very expressive faces and communicate through subtle gestures of the mouth, ears and eyes. As well, the position of the tail, even the bearing of the entire body, can communicate volumes.
It is easy to spot the alpha wolf because he carries his tail in a relaxed curve, holds his head up and walks with a bold stance. Subordinate wolves show their submission by lowering their heads and tails.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A169328

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more