The beater or drumstick used on a bodhrán1. Good ones are thin, 7-9 inches long and made from a dense hardwood such as rosewood, ipe, ebony or lignum vitae. Cheap ones (the kind you get with a new bodhran) are short, fat and so hard to play with that the average newbie gives up playing the bodhran and it becomes a wall hanging2.
1An Irish hand-held drum.2This is not entirely a bad thing, according to some fiddlers who opine that there are entirely too many bodhran players already.
Infinite Improbability Drive
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."
Most Recent Entries
- 'Freddie Mercury: A World of His Own' - the Auction Series 6-13 September, 2023
- Milgram's Obedience Research: Studying What Humans Are Capable Of
- 'No Time to Die' - the James Bond Film
- Strudel - a Varied Dish from Austria
- 'Clerks III' - the Film
- 'Evening Primrose', or What Happens If You Live in a Department Store
- 'Villette' - a Novel by Charlotte Bronte
- Alien Nation: Tenctonese in the Neighbourhood
- Doctor Who Enemies: Judoon
- Franz Joseph Haydn - Composer