Burns Night

1 Conversation


This is an Annual event peculiar to the Scots, and any visitors they happen to have at the time. It celebrates the life and work of Robert Burns (1759-1796), Scotlands most famous poet/writer.

Celebrations occur on the 25th of January, and can range from the stentoriously formal gatherings of scholars and teachers, down to informal rave-ups of drunkards and louts. In effect, this means that you will be very hard-pressed to find a sober Scotsman on this night.

The night in question usually follows a time honored form which includes the eating of a traditional Scottish meal, the drinking of Scotch whisky(and numerous other alcoholic beverages), and the recitation of works by the bard.

One of the aspects peculiar to this night is the meal itself. It comprises of Haggis, neeps*, and tatties*.

The most entertaining part of the meal is the address of the Haggis. This is traditionally spoken by a drunken scotsman in the uniform of a chef, prior to cutting into the haggis and serving to the guests. Much amusement can be had from the attempts of a modern scot trying to pronounce this traditional address

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A200142

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more