Why Wednesdays Are From The Devil

1 Conversation

Wednesdays are evil.

When I was in high school, Wednesday always happened to be the worst day of the week - the day with most hours in school, and with the toughest or most boring classes. I thought it was accidental.

Later, when I was in the army, Wednesdays always happened to be the days when work suddenly became most difficult. I didn't pay much attention to it.

Only when I got to university and noticed that once again Wednesday happens to be the longest, toughest day I began to suspect that this is not mere coincidence.

The Facts

Wednesday lies in the middle of the week - around the middle in the Jewish week which starts on Sunday, and exactly in the middle in the Christian week which starts on Monday. It is already far away from the beginning of the week, when one is still protected by the memory of the weekend; and yet, it is not yet the weekend. Only by the end of the terrible Wednesday one starts thinking that the weekend is coming soon.

Well, it is well known that the in-betweens - the hours of dusk, the crossroads, the doorways - are most susceptible to evil and bad luck. Wednesday did not escape this fate, and it is now completely controlled by the devil.

Notice the spelling of the word "Wednesday" - of all the days of the week, this one is the hardest to spell. Why? Because of that silent "d" in the middle - a "d" which obviously stands for "devil"!

The usual reasoning for this is that the day's name is taken from the name of the Norse god Odin. This is of course another trickery of the devil, in order to hide its evil presence in the name of the day it inhabits. In a clear afterthought, the name Woden was made as a variation of the name Odin, providing the common explanation. However, a little inqiry will lead you to an interesting fact: one of Odin's other names is Bolverk, which means "evil doer". Coincidence? I think not!

What Does This Mean, And What Can Be Done?

The fact that Wednesday is diabolic means that Wednesdays are always the toughest day of the week. Hour after hour of tiring study or work pass, and yet the day does not seem to come to an end. Things go wrong. You constantly drop things, or stumble, or run into people you dislike. People usually try to reason it with logic, saying things like "Well, it's almost the end of the week, so a lot of projects pile up and there is pressure to finish them quickly" (it seems to make sense, of course, but the fact is Wednesdays make no sense). Many others don't even notice all this, and think that this is just another "bad day". The truth is that Wednesdays are more than bad - they are evil. They are diabolic. They are cursed.

So, what can I do?

Frankly, there is not much to be done - Wednesdays just aren't lucky. However, some methods of coping with the evil of Wednesdays can be offered:

  • Masochism

    Or in other words, pretending that you're having fun anyway. This method is characterized by saying things like: "Actually, I like working until 4am! Nobody's around, so everything's quiet and I can accomplish a lot more!" or "My Wednesday classes are really hard, but that makes them chalenging, which is good!" or "Well, the Modern Theory of Contemporarism lecture I have on Wednesdays might be boring as hell, but this way I can catch up some sleep".

    Quite a pitiful method, as you can see, but sometimes it works. It's rather hard to spoil such hopeless optimism.

  • Superstition

    Becoming superstitious might not help (depending on your own beliefs, of course), but it can provide some sense of security. Only leave your house on your right foot, do not step on cracks or walk under ladders, always carry around a four-leaf clover, a rabbit's foot, a horseshoe, a Hamsa 1, a Figa 2, or any other symbol of good luck you can think of. The more, the better - you never know what kind of devilry you might run into.

    Try not to call the day by its name, so as not to atract unwanted attention from any evil-doers that might be hovering around. If you absolutely have to say some name, try saying it backwards (Yadsendew), to confuse the evil spirits, or maybe use a neutral, meaningless name, such as Wibble.


Anyway, the best method seems to be prevention: don't ever get married on a Wednesday; don't go on a big trip, or start a big project. Things won't necessarily go wrong - but they definitely might. This is just the way the devil works, by being inconsistent and random, planting fear and doubt into people's hearts.

Beware Wednesdays. Maybe there is not much you can do about them, but recognition is the first step in the preventing of possible bad luck. When you know that Wednesday is going to be awful, you can keep your head down and wait for it to pass - and when it does, you are safely in the weekend.

A698989
1Figure of a spread hand, common around the Mediterranean as an object which wards off evil eye.2Figure of a fist with the thumb between the second and third fingers, used for good luck in Portugal and Brazil.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2083691

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more