Six Geese A-Laying

4 Conversations

Welcome to h2g2's attempt to decipher the mystery that is the song 'The 12 Days of Christmas'. You've come to the page that is concentrating on the line Six Geese A-laying, and here's what our Researchers came up with when we asked them what on earth this line meant.

  • If you're wondering why geese should make such excellent gifts, consider their suitability for use as guard dogs: they make a paticularly evil-sounding honking and hissing noises when disturbed and they spit too. They're also very violent, so if you can't be bothered to invest in a rottweiler or a doberman, find yourself a gaggle of geese and persuade them to hang around and protect your dwelling. The only problem is that geese - especially Canada geese - tend to migrate to warmer climes in the winter, which isn't something that rottweilers or dobermans tend to do1. And geese don't like collars much either, so perhaps it's not such a good idea after all. Oh well.

  • Goose down is a luxury duvet filling - or at least the fluffy chest hairs are (the wing feathers are for cheapskates). It's superior to duck down2 which is why the geese are so reluctant to let humans have it. Every ounce of quality down has about two million fluffy filaments that interlock and trap air, which is why it's so snuggly in the cold winter months.

  • One thing's for sure: this line has absolutely nothing to do with the practice of goosing, or pinching someone on the behind. And goosing has absolutely nothing to do with giving someone a melvin (also known as a wedgy) in which someone is picked up by their underwear, often to the sound of higher-than-normal screeching3. We just thought we should make that perfectly clear.

1Unless they're starring in one of those bizarre '70s Disney films, where a cat, a dog and a gerbil manage to traverse half the known planet to save a little boy from evil foster parents. Or something like that.2That's down from a duck, not the act of avoiding frisbee anarchists in the park. Some duck down is also known as eider down, but only down from the eider duck.3Especially if the recipient is male.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A212284

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more