Hawk Mountain Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Hawk Mountain

3 Conversations

Every autumn, a mountain in Pennsylvania is visited by hundreds of bird-watchers to witness the annual migration of around 15,000 hawks. More than 200 species of birds can be seen by visitors to the north lookout of Hawk Mountain, including the Bald Eagle, Osprey, Red-Tailed Hawk, Marsh Hawk, and Cooper's Hawk.

In 1934, this 2,000-acre site along Blue Mountain was established as a sanctuary for migrating birds of prey - the first of its kind in the world. Hawk Mountain is located off a rural road between Kempton and Orwigsburg. Just follow the signs from Route 895, which can be reached by exiting Interstate 78 at Route 61 and travelling north to Route 895.

It's an inspiring sight open daily from 8am to 5pm. The geography in the area creates a lot of rising thermals which the birds use like a highway in the air for their ride south.

Pets, portable radios and loud noises are banned in the sanctuary because they might frighten the birds away.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A219809

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more