How to Make 'Bountyful'- flavoured Ice Cream Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

How to Make 'Bountyful'- flavoured Ice Cream

2 Conversations

Ice cream made with fresh cream and not much else is one of the most luxurious puddings around. If you’re on a diet, have a heart condition or diabetes, look away now! If however you want one of the most indulgent sweets known to man, read on…

Equipment

You will need an ice cream-maker for this recipe. There are several types of ice cream-maker available, any of which will do:

  • The cheapest types, generally costing £30-50, with a bowl that needs to be frozen first. These will generally make one batch at a time, normally 0.8 to 1.5 litres.

  • Those with an integral refrigeration mechanism, which can make unlimited quantities - again, usually 0.8 to 1.5 litres at a time.

  • Industrial ice cream machines, which again can make unlimited quantities, but larger amounts in one go.

  • Find yourself an Italian guy called Dino1.

It is theoretically possible to make this ice cream without an ice cream-maker. Place a ceramic container in the freezer for several hours beforehand, and use a spoon to stir the mixture vigorously at ten-minute intervals in the freezer2.

Ingredients

  • 284 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
  • 284 ml (1/2 pint) single cream
  • 200 ml (7 fl oz) coconut cream
  • 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
  • 50 g (2 oz) chocolate, broken into chunks3
  • 50 ml (2 fl oz) white rum (optional)

Method

  1. Mix together all the ingredients except the chocolate, and stir thoroughly to ensure that the sugar is fully dissolved. Switch on the ice cream-maker and pour the mixture in. Churn the mixture for 20-30 minutes, depending on your machine.

  2. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate. Once the ice cream is almost set, drizzle the melted chocolate into the mixture. This should freeze on contact, making little nuggets of chocolate throughout the mixture.

  3. If you like your ice cream sweet, you can add up to double the amount of sugar. Sugar and alcohol both affect how the ice cream sets - the more you use, the softer the ice cream will be. If you overdo it, the ice cream won't set at all.

  4. Depending on your machine, you may wish to refrigerate the ice cream further before serving. Once made, the ice cream will keep in the freezer for up to three months4.

1This technique is not 100% perfect.2This researcher has never tried this but is assured that it works, by TV chef Jamie Oliver, no less.3Plain or milk, according to preference.4Although it rarely seems to last that long!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A2339534

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more