Favourite Quotes

1 Conversation

"From the Atheists' Handbook" by Gavin Ewart
"I'd sooner put my trust in a drunken dentist than in God".

From the Patti Smith version of Gloria

"Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine."

Robyn Hitchcock
"beneath our civilised glazing, we are all deviants, all alone, and all peculiar."

Emma Goldman
"The most vital right is the right to love and be loved ... and if partial emancipation is to become a complete and true emancipation of women, it will have to do away with the ridiculous notion that to be loved, to be sweetheart and mother, is synonymous with being slave or subordinate."

Jeanette Winterson
"She laughed. She didn't know what it was, but it was forbidden and she liked it."

Oscar Wilde
"Disobedience ... the original virtue."

Prince
"Act your age, not your shoe size."

Charles T. Sprading
"when the artist paints what the public demands, it is not art, but business."

Benjamin Franklin

"Where liberty is, there is my country."

Tom Paine
"Where liberty is not, there is my country."

Eugene Debs
"While there is a lower class I am in it, while there is a criminal element I am of it, while there is a soul in prison, I am not free!"

Francisco Solano Constancio
"In Catholic countries, all who dare think are heretics; among Protestants they are atheists."

Thomas Jefferson
"The licentiousness of the press produces the same effect as the restraint of the press was intended to do if the restraint was to prevent things being told, and the licentiousness of the press prevents things being believed when they are told."

The Highlanders of Sutherland1
"We have no country to fight for. You robbed us of our country and gave it to the sheep. Therefore, since you have preferred sheep to men, let sheep defend you!"

Bill Hicks
"It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in".

Julian the Apostate, Last Pagan Roman Emperor
'It is by reason that we ought to persuade and instruct men, not by blows or insults or physical force.'

Denis Fonvizin
'I have seen, that in any land there is much more bad than good, that people are people everywhere, that intelligence is rare and idiots abound in every country'

Nikolai Turgenev
Argue with someone more intelligent than you:
He will defeat you.
But from your defeat you will learn something useful.

Argue with someone of equal intelligence:
Neither will be victorious.
And in any case you will have the pleasure of the struggle.

Argue with someone less intelligent:
Not from a desire for victory
But because you may be of use to him.

Argue even with a fool:
You will not gain glory
But sometimes it is fun.

Only do not argue with Vladimir Stasov2.

1A reply given to the landlords Factor, a recruiting officer and 2 ministers attempting to recruit Highlanders for the Crimea in 1854, as reported by Donald Ross in the 'Northern Ensign'.2Suggestions for the Hootoo equivilent of the great 19th century Russian art critic are welcomed.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2386190

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more