Continental Drift

1 Conversation

Continental drift is a problem of global proportions but is forgotten because everybody is consumed by the minor problems of global warming, the hole in the ozone layer and the break up of the Spice Girls.
Take Tasmania for instance. The future of this island as a low profile state of Australia is doomed by continental drift- it is moving towards the USA at a ripping speed, several centimetres per century. The residents of Tasmania now have to spend the entire GDP of Tasmania to arm themselves for their arrival in the outer suburbs of Los Angeles. Their attempts to apply for US citizenship now and avoid the rush later on are doomed to failure because the US bureaucracy has no concept of continental drift.
Another problem for Tasmanians is the conservative values of much of America, especially the Bible Belt. Zealous church leaders will discourage cartographers and publishers of atlases from working with Tasmania. Those who defy them will be labeled pornographers. The result will be that the new state of America will be filled with curious tourists who are always lost because maps of the island are banned.
It’s not just Tasmania who gets a raw deal from the drift. The citizenry of the US will not escaped unscathed. They will be faced with the arrival in their waters of a well-armed island of very nervous people in a bad mood because their applications for citizenship have been denied. A flood of filthy road maps of their newest state will attack their morals.
International shipping is in dire straits, too. Navigation is, in fact, impossible with all the continents constantly shifting their positions. Huge oil tankers get around the globe entirely by luck. Their captains never have any idea of where Africa is, nor Europe. It’s not generally realised, but the Exxon Valdez disaster was Alaska’s fault. It gathered a bit of momentum and rammed into the ship while the captain was sleeping.
This sort of "accident" is happening at an ever increasing frequency. Forget global warming, asteroids, overpopulation. Continental drift is the biggest threat to civilisation today.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A257564

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more