LSD

7 Conversations

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide-25 (also know as LSD or acid) was discovered by Albert Hoffman in 1938. In very small quantities, LSD has the ability to radically change the chemical reactions in the human brain, leading to extreme altered perceptions of time and space.

Discovery and Research

One day, Mr Hoffman was in his lab at the Sandoz research facility coming up with creative solutions to ease pain in the suffering heads of migraine victims. While experimenting with a particular compound, he haphazardly came into contact with a solution of LSD-25. Within a few minutes, the first acid trip had commenced.

Psychiatrists and psychologists all over the world were soon experimenting with the therapeutic effects of LSD on patients with illnesses ranging from depression to schizophrenia. During this time many were reporting a high success rate with patients who were prescribed LSD along with more conventional therapy.

The CIA, Free Love and Paranoia

During the late 1950s, the use of LSD came under heavy criticism. The CIA was experimenting with mind control situations in a project known as MK-ULTRA. At one point CIA agents got a little carried away with using the drug themselves. A certain individual in their company, who was slipped some LSD and who then subsequently tripped for a couple of days, eventually jumped off a tall building thinking he had gone insane.

In the 1960s and early 1970s, LSD became popular with the counter-culture movement who were opposed to the Vietnam war. Free love and lots of naked people having a ball often ensued.

However, an epidemic of panic swept across the homes of America as often erroneous information concerning the use of LSD led to confusion about the drug's ill effects. Many people thought they were going to go insane because of the drug. Ironically, however, many of them probably did.

Today

LSD can still be found on the black-market. It is cheaper and easier to get in the Seattle and San Francisco area than the rest of the US. It has become a popular drug with ravers in the techno scene, and is more about hallucinations and dancing these days, than it is about peace and love.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A263053

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more