Porta-Potties Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Porta-Potties

4 Conversations

Porta-Potties1 are plastic free-standing cubicles, usually blue, which can be seen standing around in groups at fairs, festivals, public gatherings, and construction sites. Inside you'll find a toilet seat fixed above an enormous vat of excrement. To disguise the aroma, Porta-Potties come equipped with a unique powerful-smelling antiseptic. They are therefore often smelt before they are seen.

Useful Tips

  • Don't attempt to change your clothes inside a portaloo. The floor is invariably swimming with interesting fluids.

  • It's uncommon, but not impossible, for the door to jam. If you find yourself trapped, a hapless victim, don't feel that your pride would be injured by pounding on the door and yelling for help.

  • If the cubicle starts to move, get out fast. The interior of an inverted portaloo is a very, very unpleasant place.

  • Don't expect to be supplied with toilet paper.

  • If the door latch is broken, hold it shut with your free hand the entire time you are inside.

  • People outside can hear you.

1Also called Porta-Loos, Portalet, Johnny-on-the-Spot, Portable Poop Can, Honey bucket or Snake hole

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A264304

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more