Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

1 Conversation



Title: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies


Author: Jared Diamond


Paperback: 0393317552


Hardcover: 1879557541




Subjects: World History, Social Evolution, Civilisation, Ethnology, Human Beings.



In this book, Jared Diamond discusses how factors in the ancient environment gave rise to human culture. Topics discussed include social interaction, the formation of hierarchy including religion, the benefits and pitfalls of the domestication of plants and animals, the direction of movement of those plants and animals, development of written languages, and the growth of society.


Diamond discards Eurocentric anthropological assumptions, focusing on why certain societies developed faster than others did and why their ideas and inventions spread quickly or slowly. Ultimately he tells what factors influenced the European assertion of dominance over other cultures.


With many examples from African, Native American, Aboriginal, and Polynesian history, Diamond expresses how these cultures failed to produce the guns, the germs, and the steel that Europeans did.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A278264

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more