Yuca is a boring root vegetable, a bit like turnip. But when you add garlic and lemon dip it's transformed into a creamily textured and deliciously different vegetable.
- 1 1/2 pounds yuca, peeled, halved and cut into chunks
- 5 cloves garlic, mashed into 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of a lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped finely
- Put the yuca in a saucepan and add water until the yuca is just covered.
- Add the salt, and bring the pan to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer the pan for approximately 30 minutes, until the yuca is tender.
- Drain the pan and remove any 'woody' parts from the center of the yuca.
- Mash the garlic cloves into the salt with mortar and pestle.
- Add garlic, lemon juice and onions to the olive oil in a separate pan and heat until bubbling, then pour the mixture over the yuca.
- Toss the yuca and all ingredients lightly while continuing to sauté over medium heat until lightly browned.