- Vegetable oil for frying
- Green plantain, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-2 inch slices
- Fill a large frying pan a third full with oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Fry the plantain slices for approximately five minutes on each side, until they begin to brown.
- Remove the plantain and drain on paper towels.
- Use the bottom of a coffee cup to squash the plantains down to about half their thickness.
- Fry once again until golden brown.
- Remove and use paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste and serve.