Cuban Flan Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Cuban Flan

0 Conversations

Flan is a traditional Cuban dish. This is a recipe for a plain flan, but you can make it with coconut, guava or mango.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups milk
  • Pared rind of 1 lemon
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • For the caramel: 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup water

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

  2. Use a soufflé or baking dish, about 5 cup capacity.

  3. Put the lemon rind and cinnamon in a pan along with the milk. Heat the milk until it is just about to come to the boil. Turn off the heat and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.

  4. Caramel: Heat the sugar in the water until it is dissolved, then bring it to a slow boil until it turns a golden-brown colour. Remove from heat and pour into the dish. Swirl it around so that the caramel covers the bottom and sides of dish.

  5. Custard: Beat the eggs and the egg yolks with the sugar until thoroughly mixed, and stir in the hot milk.

  6. Strain into the caramel-lined dish. Stand the dish in a baking tray filled with an inch or so of hot water.

  7. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife slides into the centre and comes out clean. Leave it to cool.

  8. Before serving, loosen the sides with a knife and turn it out onto a plate.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A283402

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more