Tori Amos

3 Conversations

Defining Tori Amos is very difficult. On one hand, she's one of the best pianists I've ever heard, and on the other, she's a brilliant lyricist.

Born Myra Ellen Amos on August 22nd 1963 to Dr Edison Amos, a methodist minister and his wife, Mary Ellen, part Cherokee Indian.

She was admitted to a musical conservatory by the age of five, a truly remarkable achievement.

Her pop music career began with Y Kant Tori Read, an album made with her band, the name a reference to her inability (or unwillingness) to follow sheet music. This flopped massively.

The follow-up, Little Earthquakes is considered one of the classic albums by a singer songwriter, and many of her fans still consider it to be her best work, despite having been followed by Under The Pink, Boys For Pele and most recently, From The Choirgirl Hotel.

Live, she impresses audiences with her boundless energy, improvisational skills and flawless piano.

She is also involved with RAINN, a charity dealing with sexual assault victims (the Rape and Incest National Network) as she was subjected to a horrific sexual attack early in her career.

She recently married Mark Hawley. The couple live in the South of England.

If you haven't heard Tori, you probably haven't heard the best female singer-songwriter of this decade.

Check out Little Earthquakes - it may well change your life.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A37270

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more