Didgeridoo/Didjuridu

2 Conversations

Man playing a didgeridoo

A didgeridoo1 is basically a long tube, used as a musical instrument. Usually, it produces a low pitch, resonant sound, with complex rhythmic patterns. They were originally found in Arnhem Land, Northern Australia. Originating from Aborigine culture2, the didgeridoo is possibly one of the world's oldest musical instruments. In Aboriginal culture, it is used as an accompaniment to chants and songs.

How are they Made?

Three white termites

Genuine didgeridoos are naturally hollowed out by termites3. Being very sensitive to light, and preferring warm and humid conditions, an ideal home for termites is inside trees.

Strong as they are, termites can't go through the living bark of the tree - they depend on finding ready-made access to the centre of a tree or sapling. Once a suitable hole has been found, the termites start eating away at the inside of the tree, hollowing it out.

Northern parts of Australia contain vast areas of trees, which are a suitable home for termites. So how can you tell if a particular tree has been hollowed? Some ignorants just take a chainsaw and start cutting hundreds and thousands of trees down to find a few hollow ones, leaving carnage behind them. Aboriginal people feel sad and resentful about that as the land and trees are sacred to them.

An aboriginal didgeridoo maker walks for miles through the bush. Some say they can smell the termites, others say they can see from the shape of the tree and its leaves which ones are well-hollowed. In any case, they cut only hollow trees and take only a few here and there without destroying the forest4.

A good didgeridoo maker will not use 'raw' wood. Rather, he will let it 'season' for a few months, a process which increases the quality of the wood. After seasoning, the bark is removed and the interior cleaned of the dirt the termites usually deposit in there, generally by soaking it for a few days then using a stick or hot coals. The still rough exterior has to be smoothed and sanded, and any holes in the didge need filling. Beeswax is often used for this.

What about Decoration?

A didgeridoo paint detail

A great deal of care goes into the decoration of most didgeridoos. Traditional methods of decoration use ochre5 and clay, and charring the surface of the didge. Alternatively, the didge may be painted using acrylic colours. But however it is decorated, the end result is almost always an intricate design of great beauty.

Can I Make a Didge?

A clay Didgeridoo

Yes. It seems to be possible to make a didgeridoo out of practically anything that can be (or is already) hollowed out. You can use:

  • Plastic pipes
  • Clay
  • Gourds
  • Bon do (a common car repair material)
  • Cedar (or practically any other wood)
  • Yucca plants

Didgeridoings.com gives instructions on how to make didges from the above materials - and many more besides...

What Determines the Musical Key of a Didge?

Pitch is related to size - basically, big means lower, small means higher. So a long, wide didge will have a lower pitch than a shorter, narrower didge. However, the actual shape of the inner cavity also has an influence - widenings near the top mean lower keys while widenings near the bottom mean higher ones. This is only a general guideline as each didge is individual.

How do I Play It?

Place the end of the didge over your mouth firmly (but not really hard) and buzz your lips somewhat the way that a note is sounded on a trumpet, but with your lips a lot looser. It can be quite a difficult idea to get first time, as when you get it going, your lips rarely touch. You need to relax the muscles that are in your face (ie jaws and cheeks) and just loosely have your lips on the didge. Some people get it almost immediately and others have to experiment for a while before they do. Anyone can learn it with a little effort. A steady drone is the sort of sound you should be aiming for. Initially it will probably be quite difficult to maintain the sound. However, with enough practise, you'll soon be able to keep the sound going for as long as you can make a single breath last.

When you start, you'll want to experiment with what you're doing. You may want to vary the size of the mouthpiece - find the size that suits you best. You may want to experiment with the position of the didge on your mouth. Some people find it more comfortable to have the didge central on the lips, while some prefer it to one side, by varying amounts.

To play the didgeridoo properly you'll eventually need to be able to keep the basic tone going all the time. To do this you need to learn a technique called circular breathing, whereby you occasionally keep the didge tone going with air in your cheeks being pushed out with pressure from your tongue and cheek muscles at the same time that you're breathing in through your nose. Before attempting this you should get very steady and efficient with the basic tone.

Once you have mastered the basic tone, it's time to add some variety. To do this, you project vocal sounds through the didge, whilst maintaining the basic tone. The first sound (and probably the easiest) is the owl sound. First try making the sound without the didge, but still having your lips vibrating.

Next up is the kookaburra sound. Start off by just saying 'kook' repeatedly. Then increase the pitch and speed, and add in the lip vibrations. This will probably take a while to get used to, as you are actually speaking.

The last sound is the kangaroo. To do this, you need to incorporate your tongue. Whilst blowing through the didge, you need to flick your tongue from the roof of your mouth to the back of your bottom set of teeth.

Other than that, it's mostly a question of lips, tongue, and breath pressure. You can hum while blowing to get strange noises, scream, use your tongue to go 'ta-ta-ta'6 or double tongue - 'ta-ka-ta-ka'7 (twice as fast). The harmonics of the didge change as you puff or squeeze your cheeks as that's one of the main ways you can change the note. Also, you can make a sudden puff of air, as if you are coughing without the sound of the cough. This gives a 'huh!' kind of noise. You can also use this to get higher notes.

Aboriginalart.com has audio samples which will allow you hear the sounds you should be making.

1Sometimes spelled 'didjeridu' and often called a didge.2Modern dating techniques put the earliest evidence of aboriginal presence at over 60,000 years ago.3Termites, by the way, are related to cockroaches, but not to ants.4The average size of the cut branch seems to be 1.3 metres, but the length often varies between 1 and 1.5 metres. Obviously, it depends on the size of the tree.5Ochre is made from ground up coloured sandstone mixed with water. It comes off fairly easily, so nowadays it's usually mixed with wood glue to last longer.6Alternatively 'du-du-du' works as well. Either way, use the tip of your tongue against the back of your teeth - use a rounder tongue for 'da' and a more pointed tongue for 'ta'.7Alternatively, 'du-gu-du-gu'. Use the back of your tongue to get the ka/gu sound.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A416198

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more