Wisconsin, USA

1 Conversation

The Badger State - - - America's Dairyland

Our State Motto:  Forward

Some Wisconsin Facts...
Area:56,154 sq mi (145,439 sq km
Population:4,891,769 (1990)
Capitol:Madison
Statehood:May 29, 1848 (30th state)
Highest Point:Timms Hill, 1,952 ft (595 m)
Lowest Point:Lake Michigan, 581 ft (177 m)
Bird:Robin
Flower:Wood violet
Tree:Sugar Maple
Animal:Badger
Dog:American Water Spaniel
Dance:Polka
Insect:Honey Bee
Domesticated Animal:Dairy Cow
Beverage:Milk

Wisconsin is known as the "Dairy Capital" of the United States - maybe because we produce more milk than any other state in the union.

Flower:Wood Violet
Tree:Sugar Maple
Grain:Corn
Fossil:Trilobite
Mineral: Galena
Rock:Red Granite
Wildlife Animal:White-tailed Deer

We have both gun and bow hunting seasons for the tasty White-tailed Deer!

Fish:Muskellunge
Symbol of Peace:Mourning Dove

We made it legal to hunt Mourning Doves in Wisconsin by a 2 to 1 vote! Yum, yum!

All kidding aside, Wisconsin is a very environmentally conscious state and we are very protective of our animal friends. Animals that are hunted for sport are done so in the best interest of the animal population. This is usually to prevent overpopulation; which often times results in starving animals.

Hunting and fishing are two of the major attractions of Wisconsin for locals and tourists alike. I guess it helps that we have over 15,000 lakes and over 60,000 acres of park land... and that doesn't even begin to include the amount of privately owned woodlands.

To the west of Wisconsin are Minnesota and Iowa. Canada is on our northern border. The Mississippi River runs along and through the west side of the state from north to south.

To the east of Wisconsin lie Michigan and the Great Lakes and Illinois is to the south. We are considered a Midwest state.

Little known facts…

  • What most people don't know is that we are also the leading producer of Ginseng in the United States. In fact, Wausau, WI is known as the Ginseng Capital of the world. And I live in Wausau!

  • We also host the largest cross-country ski race in the U.S., the American Birkebeiner.

  • While many people think of Roswell, NM when UFO's are mentioned they might also think of Belleville, WI since it is the UFO Capital of Wisconsin.
BEER is another great thing about Wisconsin; we have many breweries, some small micro-breweries, others very large. Some you might recognize are:
Three glassses of beer
  • Miller Brewing Company in Milwaukee, WI
  • Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
  • Pabst Brewing
  • Stevens Point Brewery, makers of Point Beer

The Green Bay Packers ...also hail from Wisconsin and the residents in these parts are die-hard fans. They have won twelve championships (1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1996). They are also the only football (not soccer) team to win three straight titles, having done it twice (1929-30-31 and 1965-66-67). In addition, the Packers have won the three Super Bowls! Most recently over New England in 1996, 35-21).

Wisconsinites are often times referred to as CHEESEHEADS and can be seen wearing giant foam hats shaped liked bits of cheese! (looney aren't we?!) They especially like to do this at Packer games where they are also known as Packer-Backers. If you have the good fortune to go to a game at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI; you might see a number of Wisconsinites aka Packer-backers aka Cheeseheads (especially the male types) screaming and carrying on about their team with exposed body parts and faces painted Green and Gold the Packer colors!

smiley - fishLast Updated 6-19-2001 at 20:43CST

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A440885

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more