Francisco de Quevedo - Poet and Political Moralist Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Francisco de Quevedo - Poet and Political Moralist

3 Conversations

Francisco de Quevedo (1580 - 1645), a political moralist, is one of the most famous Spanish authors. He wrote comedies, satires, poetry and novels. Various works that Quevedo wrote were related to religion probably because he studied theology. He also studied logic, metaphysics, and physics. A polyglot, among the many languages he could speak were Greek, Latin, Hebrew, French, Italian, and English (aside from Spanish, of course).

Life

Francisco de Quevedo was born in Madrid, in September 1580. His parents were Pedro Gomez de Quevedo, who died in 1586, and Maria de SantibaƱez, who died in 1605. He went under the tutorship of Andres de Ozaeta, a writer, for two years in 1602. 11 years later he worked for the Duke of Osuna, the viceroy of Sicily. Two years after that, Quevedo arrived in Madrid with a donation from Sicily. Using various methods, including bribery, he was able to ensure that the Duke of Osuna became the Viceroy of Naples in 1616. Quevedo then returned to Madrid from Naples to give another donation to insure the Duke's interests. The gig was eventually up however, as the Duke was sent to prison in 1621 and Quevedo lost favour because of his ties with him. He continued writing until his death on 8 September, 1645, in Villanueva de los Infantes.

Works

His works include, among others, various letrillas which are poems. These include:

  • Poderoso caballero es don Dinero
  • Solamente un dar me agrada, que es el dar en no dar nada
  • Vuela, pensamiento, y diles a los ojos que que mas quiero que hay dinero
  • Yo he hecho lo que he podido; fortuna lo que ha querido

References

Los Clasicos: Quevedo, A preliminary Study by German Arciniegas


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A446320

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more