The International Baccalaureate Diploma

4 Conversations

The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a diploma approximately of the same level as the English A-level exams, although it's a more intense, harder course. The interesting things about this diploma include the fact that you have to take six subjects - three at higher level and three at standard level. In addition to this, in order to pass the IB and receive the diploma, students have to write an extended essay in a subject of their own choosing. This has to be at least 4000 words long. Students also have to complete a Theory of Knowledge course, which involves writing an essay and making an oral presentation. The IB works on a points system and to pass, a student must gain a score of a minimum of 24 points.

Students also have to complete 150 creative, active, service (CAS) hours. If any of these elements are missing the student will fail the IB. Each subject can gain the student up to seven points, the extended essay and Theory of Knowledge course can gain the student another three additional points. When taking the IB, students must take mathematics, an experimental science, two languages (their native language and a modern foreign language), a humanities subject, art or a second language and science. The International Baccalaureate Diploma is becoming increasingly available in schools around the world, and universities and employers are also becoming more aware of its merits.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A446357

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more