A Thought for Christmas

0 Conversations

As Christmas draws near we may be reminded of the dark side of the world we live in. The charities are fully functional and collecting money for their good causes as fast as they can, because they will either see a human who doesn't care, a human who 'already gave', or a human who empties his pocket right there on the spot.

I want to confess here that I have a personal favourite good charity and that's what I want to talk about : UNICEF. You should have heard of it and, if not : UNICEF is The good charity for kids. That's right... children. I admit that it is one charity that does not pass by my door without my attention, if only to give a couple of bucks, you know... my 2 cents worth...

Now why, you may ask, would anyone who doesn't have any kids care
about them? This is where my self-interest kicks in.

I believe that only our next generations will be able to solve not
only the problems that we have caused, but also the problems which
are going to occur in the next millennium. Over-population, pollution, well you know, etcetera.

What we need is a new Einstein, maybe a political Einstein, maybe a new Messiah in the form of a new Einstein, or a Leonardo Da Vinci;
any genius will do for me.

Now we all know that the more children have access to a good
education, good healthcare etcetera, the more this will improve
their chances of making it through their childhood.

So what inevitably follows is this: the greater the number of
children that survive, the bigger the chance of finding, one day,
that our new Einstein has arrived.

Now I know that my donation to UNICEF, however great or small it is, will not go to just one child... but what if that little bit of extra food that one particular child somewhere in the world received made just the difference between life and death? What if that kid turns out to be the One?

Maybe the only thing that saved him was my 2 cents worth...


Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,


TowelMaster


20.12.99. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A473186

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more