Tattoo Removal

1 Conversation

Looking Back...

It seemed like a great idea at the time when you got that tattoo a few years ago, but now you would like to get rid of it.

The Process

A majority of tattoo's being removed today are carried out using laser treatment, this is because there is a lower risk of scarring.

The earlier tattoo removal techniques include methods such as dermabrasion, this is where the skin is sanded so that it removes both the surface layer and the middle layer of skin, the doctor then removes the tattoo with a scalpel and stitches the wound closed, this method usually results in excessive scarring to the skin.

Laser treatment is concidered the standard procedure for tattoo removal, however, there are many different types of laser treatment available to remove your tattoo. The type of laser treatment used will depend on the pigment colours used in your tattoo as different laser types remove different pigment colours.

The pigment colours that are the easiest to remove are, black, brown and blue, while the pigment colours red, green, yellow, orange,and white are more difficult to remove.

Tattoo's that are carried out by professionals usually contain more pigment colours and a lot more detail in the design. In many of these cases the pigment colours are also applied more deeply into the skin, this usually means that a tattoo that is carried out by a professional are normally more difficult to remove and may take more treatment sessions.

Each person and tattoo is unique so the number of treatment sessions you will need can vary. The average amout of sessions normally needed to completely remove a tattoo is between seven and twelve treatments. But do not be supprised if the removal of your tattoo takes more than that.

Tattoo removal is not carried out all at once, it is not an overnight proceedure as you must allow breaks of anything from four to eight weeks between each laser treatment session.

Preparing Yourself For Treatment

Preparing yourself for the treatment session for the removal of your unwanted tattoo is simple, there is no preparation, aslong as you have had your consultations with your chosen plastic surgeon and you have discussed all the aspects of the procedure then all you need to do is take a deep breath and relax.

Before the doctor gets started with the laser treatment he will numb the area of skin with a topical medication that he will be treating in that particular session, if you feel the need you are able to have more medication and the numbing does disapear when the medication wears off.

Pain

The laser process to remove the pigment colours in the tattoo is not a pain free procedure. The pain that is felt during the process is described as a burning sensation or someone snapping an elastic band against the skin. The medication that you will recieve during the procedure will make this sensation bearable for most patients.

Recovering From Treatment

After each treatment session it is very important that you keep the area as clean as possible by washing it with hydrogen peroxide and by applying an antibiotic such as bacitracin or polysporin. It is also important that you keep the area cover with a clean, sterile bandage, you are normally only asked to do this for a week after each session. The area maybe very tender for a few days after each session so be careful while doing this.

Risks

Following each of the treatment session there is always a high risk of infection to the area. It is very important that the area being treated is kept clean and that you use the antibiotics or antiseptics medication prescribed to you by your doctor.

Another of the risks that follow treatment is sunburn. It is important that you keep the area covered in factor 15 suncream at all times when the area is not covered by clothing or a sterile bandage.

If during the course of your laser treatment, your doctor notices that you are begining to experience heavy scarring, he may decide to stop the tattoo removal process all together. Slight minor scarring is usual during laser treatment whereas heavy is not.

Costs

The cost of tattoo removal treatment for your unwanted tattoo will depend on several different reasons.

  • The doctor will need to take into consideration the overall size, the pigment colors used, and whether the tattoo was carried out by a professional or an amateur.
  • The number of sessions that you may need to completely remove the tattoo depends on the individual tattoo itself. The cost of each individual session will vary depending on where you live in the country and which hospital you choose to use for the treatement.

It is recommended that you wear sun cream at all times if the treated area is not covered BUT it is extremely important that you DO avoid exposing the treated area to the sun.

Hospitals Where Treatment Is Available

  • Acland, Oxford
  • Cleveland
  • Cotswold, Cheltenham
  • Exeter
  • Glasgow
  • Hull
  • Leicester
  • Mid Yorkshire, Leeds
  • Newcastle
  • North Staffordshire, Newcastle-Under-Lyme

Tattoo Related Guide Entries

Tattoo's

Tattoo Safely


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A510841

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more