Spelugx's Utilties

0 Conversations

Spelugx's Cave |
Utilities |
TODO |
Reading |
Help Signpost

Newbie!

A2212688
A2131057

View Spelugx's Old Conversations

View Spelugx's Conversations
View Support's Conversations
View RhoMuNuQ's Conversations

Spelugx's private forum

Chat and h2g2's purpose

A599376
A614891
A413290
A187508
A359697
A202924
A251795
A520769
U33922
U147915
A1378 (This needs improvement)
New Users
Don't Panic Help Centre
The Post

ACE text

I tried a new greeting the other day. And I also tried a greeting for experienced users.


Welcome to h2g2, an interactive, community-written collection of reference, non-fiction and fiction articles! :-D
I'm one of the official h2g2 <./>ACES</.>, who try to welcome every new user personally. B-)

There's a number of ways to <./>contribute</.> to h2g2, and to <./>read</.> h2g2. One of the simplest is to have conversations about the topics you see. <magic> Converation threads (like this one) allow you to leave messages almost anywhere on the site. Most pages have a 'start a new conversation' button at the bottom which allows you to start a discussion about whatever you want.

To help you get started have a look at our newspaper, <./>ThePost</.> <thepost>, especially the links page where you can find all the groups and meetings places. If you want to find out about something specific try a <./>Search</.>.

Personnally I like to hang out in the H2G2 Café <tea> where anyone is welcome (A202924). One useful page is 'Spicing up your User Page' (A690518), which will help you start creating a space to call your own. Feisor, another <./>ace</.>, has created a page of hints and links for new researchers at A719840.

Another good resource is the <./>DontPanic</.> Help Centre which can be reached via the 'Help!' button on the toolbar at the top. To find the busiest places on hootoo you can look at the list of busiest conversations on the <./>FrontPage</.>, but <./>Askh2g2</.> is usually always busy. If you want to see what other people are writing, have a look in <./>PeerReview</.>. Everyday at least two articles are published as being 'edited' by the editors, and you can see what has been edited in the past at <./>Month</.>.

A cool thing about h2g2 is the large collection of smilies that you can put into conversations <fish>. The full list is at <./>smiley</.>, but most normal ones like ; - ) are accepted ;-).

h2g2 also has a small number of <./>HouseRules</.>. If you see anything which you find offensive you can use the 'yikes' button, a small '!', to alert the BBC's moderation team.

If you want any help or advice just reply to this post (there's a link at the bottom) and I'll do my best! <ok>

<dontpanic> <towel> Good Luck!

Spelugx -- <./>ACE</.>, <./>Guru</.>

Some boilerplate to help greet various people.


Welcome to h2g2, an interactive, community-written collection of reference, non-fiction and fiction articles.

h2g2 is about contributing through writing.

Converation threads (like this one) allow you to leave messages almost anywhere on the site. Most pages have a 'start a new conversation' button at the bottom which allows you to start a discussion about whatever you want.

Another way is by writing articles (also called entries).

Subject: Feedback on new greeting
My boilerplate ACE text has been showing it's age for a considerable time now, and I thought that the new year would be a good time to try something new. I've tried to avoid the long list of links approach, and focus on what one can do, rather than how one does it. I hope that this also encourages people to reply and ask how to do something on the list. Any comments?[0]

<insert greeting here>

Spelugx -- <./>ace</.>

[0] I described the site as an encyclopaedia (we've already had that thread though). Was there anything better suggested?

Heavy text about the HouseRules.


As with any community h2g2 has a few <./>HouseRules</.>. These help ensure that the site is suitable for people of all age groups. If you feel uncomfortable about something on the site, and believe it to be offensive just press the '!' icon beside the entry, or the link at the very bottom of the page. Remember that users under 16 should have parental consent, and should not give away personal details on the internet.

This is my original greeting, it's really out of date now.


Hi [name], I'm spelugx (usually just :x though).

Welcome to H2G2. :-) I'm am Assistant Community Editor (<./>ACE</.>) and I'm a sort of official greeter. I hope you find lots of interesting things around this site. To help you get started go and have a look at our newspaper (<./>ThePost</.>), especially the links page where you can find all the groups and meetings places. If you want to find out about something specific try a <./>Search</.>. To find out more about some of the jargon used on h2g2 try h2jargon A632431.

Personnally I like to hang out in the H2G2 Café where anyone is welcome (A202924). One useful page is 'Spicing up your User Page' (A690518), which will help you start creating a space to call your own. Feisor, another <./>ace</.>, has created a page of hints and links for new researchers at A719840.

Another good resource is the <./>DontPanic</.> Help Centre which can be reached via the 'Help!' button on the toolbar at the top. To find the busiest places on hootoo you can look at the list of busiest conversations on the <./>FrontPage</.>, but <./>Askh2g2</.> is usually always busy. If you want to see what other people are writing, have a look in <./>PeerReview</.>. Everyday five articles are published as being 'edited' by the editors, and you can see what has been edited in the past at <./>Month</.>.

A cool thing about h2g2 is the large collection of smilies that you can put into conversations <fish>. The full list is at <./>smiley</.>, but most normal ones like ; - ) are accepted ;-).

If you have any questions just reply and I try and sort them out for you :-).

HTH & HAND. :-D

x - a *friendly* person <silly>

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A621127

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more