The Campaign for the Return of the Debonair Hero

5 Conversations


Have you ever felt that there is something missing from your life? Do you long to be whisked around the dance floor by a tall, handsome gentleman in a beautifully cut suit? Do you long to be that gentleman? Long of limb, graceful of movement, with a ready quip and that certain something, these are the Debonair Heroes, smooth, well-groomed icons of another era.



The Debonair Hero is invariably tall, often dark and always handsome. He is at home in the most sophisticated surroundings, yet is unfazed by the less salubrious side of life. He dances divinely, occasionally bursts into song (if it's that kind of film, he sings nearly all the time) and, should he ever have cause to become dishevelled, does so with style.



There are two main classes of Debonair Hero.

1. The action hero

2. The romantic hero

This is not to say that the action hero never has a romantic interlude, but any romance that does take place must play second fiddle to the main business, which is usually that of saving the world from some megalomaniac (see Suave Villains). We shall now examine the two classes in more detail.


The action hero

A surreal Dali-esque picture including a face, a melting clock and a man in a suit.
From his earliest beginnings in silent swashbucklers to his modern incarnation as James Bond, the Debonair Action Hero has always been fleet of foot, a quick, intelligent fighter, prepared to sacrifice his own life in the course of duty or for the sake of others. The Debonair Action Hero is adored by the ladies he meets and charms. Whether or not he takes advantage depends on the hero. For example, James Bond, Napoleon Solo (The Man From UNCLE) or Simon Templar (The Saint) would not hesitate to allow the maiden in distress to show her gratitude, but John Drake (Patrick McGoohan in Danger Man) would brush away their thanks and hold himself aloof.


Suave villains


Every Debonair Action Hero needs his nemesis. For the best repartee and verbal sparring, showing off our hero’s wit and deadly charm, this nemesis should be a Suave Villain. These men (and it’s nearly always a man) are often evil beyond redemption, and the viewer must long for their come-uppance. The best Suave Villains have wit and charm to match the Debonair Hero, and the very best have beautiful speaking voices. Think of James Mason as Rupert of Hentzau opposite Stewart Granger in The Prisoner of Zenda, or as Phillip Vandamm in North By Northwest opposite the quintessential Debonair Hero, Cary Grant. Think of George Sanders as the voice of Sher Khan, the tiger in Disney’s Jungle Book, or as Jack Favell in Hitchcock’s Rebecca.


The romantic hero

Tango dancers
The Debonair Hero has always held huge appeal for the fairer sex. Usually a commitment-shy batchelor, the Debonair Romantic Hero will charm the heroine (and the female contingent of the audience) with his impeccable taste in clothes, devastatingly attractive smile and constant stream of self-deprecating charm. He is found in comedy as well as romantic melodramas, often in the screwball comedies of the 1930s. A prime example is, of course, Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story. The Debonair Romantic Hero is perfect for Hollywood musicals. Think of Frank Sinatra in... well, almost anything, but especially High Society (the musical version of The Philadelphia Story), or Gene Kelly in Singin’ In The Rain.


The elegant female


The Debonair Romantic Hero’s nemesis is less sinister than the Suave Villain, but no less tricky. She is the Elegant Female, expertly coiffed and expensively dressed. Think of Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn in absolutely anything. The hero will try to resist and protect his batchelor status, but the audience knows better. The plot frequently takes the form of humourous misunderstandings, which the viewer knows will be neatly unravelled by the final reel.



Then there are the combination heroes, the Debonair Romantic Action Heroes, popular in lush 1950s Technicolor (TM) extravaganzas. Think of Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, think of Stewart Granger in The Prisoner of Zenda and Scaramouche 1). The best Debonair Romantic Action Hero films have at least one beautifully choreographed sword fight, with optional swinging from the chandeliers or tapestries.



But where are they now? Who of all the modern so-called heroes of the silver screen could buckle their swash with as much panache, could charm so much with a single word? There are none to compare with the Grants, Grangers, Sinatras and Flynns. We need men like these.



This page is the home of the Campaign for the Return of the Debonair Hero. Join our cause, sign the petition, and tell us your heroes. The most popular will be commemoratered here on a pseudo-random basis. 2



And if you fancy a little wish-fulfillment, why not drop into The Lizard Lounge, where all the Debonair Heroes, Suave Villains and Elegant Females hang out. Unleash your inner screen god/goddess!



Note: The author of this entry is not now, and has never been, an elegant female, but this does not mean she cannot tell quality when she sees it.

1Although he doesn’t do the fandango.2i.e. when the author gets a little better at GuideML.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A636437

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more