The Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain

1 Conversation

The Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain was an unusual organisation. In order to join you simply had to be 'not terribly good' at something - and preferably downright awful.

The world is full of people who can only aspire to the mediocre, yet, in the words of club co-founder Stephen Pile, we cut sandwiches and queue in the rain for hours to watch Segovia playing classical guitar without once dropping the plectrum down the hole. For every Segovia, though, there are thousands - hundreds of thousands - who spend their time shaking the plectrum out, and it was for these that the Club was founded.

The Club was immortalised by the publication of A Book Of Heroic Failures, written by Stephen Pile. This book was a celebration of human inadequacy in all its forms. Like the not terribly good burglar who wore armour to protect him from dogs and householders, only to be caught on his first time out due to the terrible noise the armour made and the fact that, weighed down by all that steel, he couldn't run away.

Unfortunately, the book included a membership application form for the Club. The result was predictable and tragic: membership rose. It rose indeed to the point where it became very evident that the club was - for want of another term - a roaring success. Under the terms of its constitution they had no option but to close down immediately.

Click here for some more heroic failures.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A676163

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more