Yoghurt Soda Bread Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Yoghurt Soda Bread

1 Conversation

This bread is delicious and can be eaten by anyone trying to avoid yeast and/or milk, eg those on a Candida Control diet, and it's really easy to make.

Ingredients

  • 450g (1lb) whole wheat plain flour
  • 10mL (2tsp) potassium (or sodium) bicarbonate
  • 300mL (one half pint) natural yoghurt
  • 150mL (one quarter pint) warm filtered water

This will make two small loaves or one large one.

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F or Gas mark 6). Sift the flour (it's important to do this, as the bread can be a bit heavy) and mix in the raising agent, then stir in the yoghurt and warm water. Mix together well, then coat the mixture with more flour and liberally flour your work-surface. No kneading is necessary.

  2. If making small loaves, divide the dough into two parts and make them into fairly flat oval shapes. Cut a cross on the top of each loaf. Place the dough on a floured tray and bake for 30 minutes, then turn down to 180°C (350°F or Gas mark 4) for another 20 minutes. To test if the bread is ready, tap the bottom of the loaf and it should sound hollow. Leave the loaf or loaves to cool on a wire rack.

  3. The bread should keep for several days, if kept in the fridge. It can be frozen, if required.

Variations

  • If you want the bread to be softer, try using more yoghurt.

  • Try using different flours, such as Spelt flour1, which has a smoother texture. You may need to experiment with the amount of liquid needed.

1Spelt (tricam speltum) is an ancient relative of modern common wheat which was commonly grown by the Romans. It can be better for people with wheat intolerance.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A694640

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more