Sloe Gin Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Sloe Gin

11 Conversations

Sloe gin.

Sloe gin is a flavoured drink traditionally made in autumn in Ireland and Britain.

Sloes

Sloes are the fruits of the blackthorn, Prunus spinosa, a prickly bush or small tree which is commonly found in hedges. The fruits are a deep purplish-blue colour, with a cloudy bloom on the surface. While they look very attractive, sloes are almost unbearably bitter to taste, though the effect of frost makes them milder.

Picking the Fruit

In Ireland and Britain, ripe sloes can be found in September and October. Late October is the best time to pick them, preferably after the first frost. Sloe gin made before Halloween should be ready to drink at Christmas. Don't use sloes from the hedges beside busy roads, since these may be polluted.

Making the Drink

Ingredients

Method

  1. Wash and dry the sloes. Use a needle or sharp skewer to make holes in their skins.

  2. Put the sloes into a large glass jar or bottle.

  3. Add the sugar.

  4. Pour on the gin.

  5. Seal the container.

  6. Leave the container for at least two months. Shake it every two or three days at first, then every week.

  7. Strain the liquid into smaller bottles. The longer you wait before this step, the better the drink will taste.

Cheers!

You should now have a delicious magenta-coloured liqueur. It is best served in small amounts as an after-dinner drink. Pouring a good helping of sloe gin onto a dish of vanilla ice cream will make a particularly luxurious dessert.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A709661

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more