Whatever Happened to Mr Garibaldi?

1 Conversation

In June 2001, Garibaldi moved from the comparative safety of Australia to brave a new life in the USA. For the next few weeks we will feature excerpts from his diary.

Virtual Diary

The sad thing about living in Atlanta is that, at some stage, I will be leaving. smiley - sadface But yet I have done so many things already that I can't remember half of what has happened. So now this page is going to become my virtual diary of what I have done while I have been in the Atlanta.

June - 2001

29th

Longest flight I have ever done. The worst thing was when I got to LAX (Los Angeles airport) I could not find a shower anywhere I looked. Turns out there are none in the Domestic part and well I was not going back over to the International part just for a shower. Mind you after 12 hours on the plane from New Zealand, I am sure the people next to me thought I stuck to high heaven.

30th

I arrived at Hartsfield Airport, Atlanta at 12:10AM. Here I was met by a few friends from Out Worlders, a gay and lesbian science fiction group. I thank those who could make it very much. I went with a few of them for a drink, and I confused the poor barmaid when I asked for a 'Scotch and Dry' (Scotch and Ginger Ale for my American friends).

After leaving the bar, my good friend Ken offered to drop me at the hotel my work had organised. However we found out that the '30th' for them started about 10:00AM. Ken offered for me to stay at his place, since he was going to take me back out to the airport to pick up my car.

July - 2001

1st

On this day Out Worlders went to see the movie AI. Boy was I tired from the jetlag, and the fact that the movie was 2½ hours long, I nodded of here and there. Good concept, good movie. After this I decided I needed rest so I went back to my hotel, but soon got an attack of loneliness so I caught up with my friends for dinner.

2nd

This day was my first day of working in the US. Before I could do anything I had to stand in line at the Social Security office for a few hours just to get my Social Security number. Unlike the Australian Tax File Number, without one's SSN you are nothing.

Next was getting the bank account, but that was simple.

4th

You guessed it, I was here just in time for 4th of July celebrations. I went with a few of my Out Worlder friends up to a place called Big Canoe. We chatted about a few things, and everyone commented on my accent. It was a nice relaxing day up in the woods.

31st

The day I got my Georgia license. This was the longest wait in line I have ever done. It took 5 hours from start to finish for me to get my license. I was nervous that I would stuff it up and would have to come do it all over again.

August - 2001

Nothing to report!

September - 2001

11th

Need I say more. I just wanted to go home after I heard that America had been attacked by terrorists. I could only think that I was in a movie. The most shocking part was to see the Twin Towers collapse.


Garibaldi


25.04.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A737309

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more