Woodcraft

1 Conversation

Woodcraft

Some samples of hobby carving by Rod


At odd times, whittling bits of firewood with a penknife – but really, It all began:


In the late 1960s, on leaving the RN and moving into a company house, with ever so
little in the way of our own belongings. After a while an empty corner called to be filled and I set-to with a few tools and bits of wood and made a small stand with a parquet top. Not good but a matter of some small pride.


From there to marquetry and some satisfying, slowly improving work, first from bought kits then
my own designs.


To a job in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and discovering the Grainger Market, in a corner of which was
(still is?) a toolshop that dealt in edge tools and whose proprietor knew all about such things. With me browsing and being particularly attracted to a set of carving tools, he started a conversation which developed into "Don't buy a set. You won't use half of them for some time, if ever" . . . "look, I'll give you a special price on these two tools. Try them out – and come back for more when you know what you want (ahem, at proper prices). Use your ordinary chisels for flat work to begin with – just make sure they're really, properly sharp".

Which led to my small collection of ten tools and a few sharpening stones/slips. I think it was he that even gave me a scruffy old canvas toolroll to keep them in – and they still live in it.


Later, in the south of England, an old woodturning lathe for sale caught my eye and I was soon
hooked. Practice, practice, practice and at first one or two, then a few more, decent-ish pieces.

After some more years, when preparing for retirement – and not actually in need of money at the time – I invested in a more modern, more capable lathe (but no, not the one I'd have preferred, sadly). See articles One Man's Woodcraft: The Lathe, also there's The Lathe Part II along with Tools


On retirement that machine was installed in a workshop shed at what was to be our last place of
Residence. . . until we emigrated, that is. It's now installed in what was the second garage (we won't ever want two cars will we? Ha!).


After joining the local woodcraft club here and Graduating from a college course, I find myself being mentor to less experienced members. I think I can claim some expertise by now – but am not a real Expert (you should watch an expert at work!).


Over the years, in good times, I've built up a collection of woodworking tools and equipment.

After moving here, 3+ years ago, I'm still coming across stuff in the workshop that I don't
immediately recognise – what on earth is that for? Hence, one of my favourite sayings – Who dies with most tools, wins – but then, seeing see some of these Kiwis' collections, I'm way behind.


Practise, practice, practise is all very well but your better work will require some thought, sketches and planning –   do I do this bit first or that bit?

Aim for acceptable and you'll be disappointed. Aim for perfection and you might get
acceptable
.


Like any worthwhile hobby woodcraft is absorbing, requiring all the faculties that you happen to
have at the time and will take the weight of the world off your shoulders – for a little while (but often).

There are a few more pictures
here, as and when I find time to do a photo session, arrange them – and post 'em .

Articles by Rod

Rod

28.05.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87759382

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more