The h2g2 Post 02.07.12

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 2nd July 2012

Historical Phantasmagorical

Click this picture of George Washington for a musical treat.
Have you got your hot dogs, hamburgers, lighter fuel and other incendiary materials ready? Then you're preparing for one of those events that take place in early July in some parts of the English-speaking world: the annual picnic and fireworks binge patriotic holiday. As you prepare to roast dubious meat products while listening to stirring songs on the radio, we at the h2g2 Post have decided to offer ridiculous and confusing enlightening and informative historical background material to enhance your appreciation of the festivities.

Er, okay, full confession: it's all Awix's fault. He picked this week to submit a review of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, a film calculated to annoy more historians than Troy did. Awix has inspired Anthea (see cartoon) and me (see another cartoon, but read Awix first, so you know why I'm picking on the Lord Protector). jwf got in on the fun, vowing to counteract the predicted jingoism of a US editor in July. After all, it's Canada Day, darn it. A host of h2g2 Researchers helped by dredging their memories of patriotic lyrics they love to hate.

The result? What we hope will be a fun romp through the commemoration business. Everybody's so patriotic this week, even the Brightling aliens are marching. Feel free to comment and discuss what doofuses you think we all are. We'll answer, but not until we've snagged the last marshmallow.

For those who are heartily tired of all this bombast, there's a sanity corner below. Some h2g2ers have higher things on their minds, such as wildlife, etymologies, and writing. Oh, yeah – speaking of writing, send us some (gmail address below, as usual).

Keep cool, stay sane, and enjoy your holidays. We hear those 'Battle of Marston Moor' picnics are a blast.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

LOUDLY LET THE TRUMPET BRAY

SPOOKY HISTORY


 

SANITY CORNER


 

 

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87760344

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more