Mythological Creatures: Answers

0 Conversations

How knowledgeable are you? Can you be trusted near the Discovery Channel?

The Post Quiz: Mythological Creatures

Cherub'ceratops

The answers to our quiz.

  1. Which mythical sea creature features in the coat of arms of the West Dorset District Council?

    A wyvern. A wyvern is a dragon with only two legs. The swimming version has a fish tail. Cryptozoologists say the wyvern looks a bit like a pterosaur. We say that h2g2 is way too interested in dinosaurs. The West Dorset banner has a sea wyvern holding up a flag, which is a pretty nice thing for it to do.
  2. According to myths circulated by unreliable people, such as Leonardo da Vinci, the deadly basilisk would kill you as soon as look at you. In fact, it could kill you by looking at you. What animal did Leonardo suggest you send down the basilisk hole to kill this deadly voyeuristic serpent?

    A weasel. Leonardo and others recommended that you pop a weasel down the basilisk hole, because the weasel's urine smelled so bad, the basilisk would expire from olfactory assault. Makes as much sense as anything else.
  3. What kind of unusual beasts are you likely to encounter in the Munich Hunting Museum?

    Wolpertinger. They even have their spoor. The spiral spoor of the Wolpertinger, a taxidermist's joke, is included in the hunting exam at the Munich Jagdmuseum. Wolpertinger come in different shapes and sizes – we've seen them with webbed feet – but the most common variety seems to be related to the fearsome jackalope.
  4. A red western dragon
  5. Which mythical beast sucks goats in Puerto Rico?

    The chupacabra. Also known as the 'goat sucker', this mythical beast allegedly looks like the monster in the 1995 scifi-horror film Species. Sightings may not be unrelated to film showings. The chupacabra has been blamed for an awful lot of goat mutilations, and at least one 'Animal Planet' broadcast.
  6. Which mythical beast was probably invented because of culture shock?

    The centaur. Some academics believe that the idea of a 'half-man/half-horse' creature came about when non-riding cultures first encountered cultures that had domesticated horses. It was a shocking experience, and made them suspicious.
  7. According to folklore, what do Romanian dragons (zmei) do with the maidens they abduct?

    Marry them. Romanian dragons are kind of advanced. Strigoi, by the way, are a sort of nasty undead. If a corpse doesn't decay after death, it might be strigoi. Fire and decapitation are said to work.
  8. What renowned figure admitted to believing in sasquatch in a conversation with NPR1's Ira Flatow?

    Jane Goodall.   Here's the transcript if you don't believe us. Ira Flatow never lies. 'Sasquatch', by the way, is a Salish word.
  9. Where might you look for Mokele-mbeme?

    In the Congo. Mokele-mbeme is the 'African Loch Ness Monster'.
  10. What does the Festa da Coca in Redondela, Spain, celebrate?

    The defeat of a sea monster by dancing girls.   Check it out. Pretty impressive dancing.
  11. What is a Cadborosaurus?

    A debated cryptid spotted in British Columbia. There's been some debate over at Scientific American. Check it out.

If you were enthralled and enlightened, feel free to share this with all your friends. Tinfoil pith helmets optional. Warning: when encountering strigoi in the Carpathians, do not attempt to approach, as they can be testy. Contact local animal control experts, and arm yourselves with garlic.

Halo'saurus
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.07.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1NPR=National Public Radio (US.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87764683

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more