Oddity of the Week: Olympic Fencing, 1896

1 Conversation

This week's Oddity brings you a blast from the Olympic past.

Fencing Before the King of Greece: An Olympic Moment

Fencing in the first modern Olympics, 1896.

This painting has it all: the thrill of competition, the elegance of form, the glitter of VIPs. . .

What, you say? That little man in the funny moustache was the King of Greece? We guess so, it says it in the title. This was the 1896 Olympics, remember. Things were slower then, and stuffier, and everybody had funny moustaches. (Well, at least everybody male.)

The painting is oil, by J André Castaigne (1861-1929), a French painter and illustrator who lived for a time in the US. It was used to illustrate the article, 'The Olympic games of 1896', by Pierre Coubertin, in the November, 1896 issue of the magazine Century.

Castaigne illustrated many books and magazines. His output was prolific, and – as you can see from this example – he had a real flair for conveying the mood, important in the days before widespread magazine photography. If you're interested, you can read more about him here. The link has more examples of the work of this talented artist.

Fencing, as we learn from the Guide, is one of only five sports to be included in every summer Olympic games from 1896 onward. The foil event for 1896 was won by Emile Gravelotte of France and the sabre by Jean Georgiadis of Greece. There was also an event for fencing masters, which was won by Léon Pyrgos of Greece, who defeated his French opponent 3-1.

We're not sure who's in the illustration, other than Γεωργιος   Α, otherwise known as George I. The artist has got it right: the Danish-born king really did have the most amazing moustache.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

06.08.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87766591

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more