Oddity of the Week: Olympic Glory and Glamour BCE

0 Conversations

It's that time of the Olympiad, folks. This week's Oddity celebrates the ancient Games.

Olympic Glory and Glamour BCE

The athletes' entrance to the ancient stadium in Olympia, Greece, taken in 1907.

Young people may or may not know this, but long before there was Sky News and ESPN, there were Olympic Games. In fact, the Olympics existed, not only before satellite television (gasp!), but even before newspapers. The ancient Olympic Games were pretty cool, involving lots of nude men, if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately, women weren't allowed to watch because of the lack of clothing on the athletes and the sacred nature of the whole thing. It was hard to get any good advertising going, too, because there wasn't anywhere much to put the logo. We're not sure what the corporate sponsors got out of it all. The ancient Olympics were limited to people who spoke Greek natively, so there, and honoured the god Zeus (rather than the corporate gods of Nike et al.)

Anyway, the ancient Olympics took place at the site shown here, at Olympia. This stereograph card from 1907 shows a strange man, maybe a pilgrim with an interest in ancient history (?), sitting in front of the athletes' entrance. The Library of Congress has only one side of the stereograph – usually, there are two pictures, side-by-side, which produce a 3D picture when you use the right viewer. People used to collect and enjoy these pictures from around the world. This stereograph card was issued by the Underwood & Underwood company.

In its heyday, the stadium must have been impressive. Unfortunately, the Romans kind of professionalised the whole thing, and when the Christians got in. . . see the bit about the whole enterprise being Pagan. (Which might explain all that nonsense on the Internet about the 'occult significance of Olympic symbolism', or maybe somebody's just trying to push web pages.)

As it is, modern athletes are probably glad for the modern conveniences of the new venues. Less marble, more hot-and-cold-running-water. We wish them well.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.08.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87767383

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more