Oddity of the Week: Autumn on the Wissahickon

0 Conversations

Ah, autumn. The fresh scent of fall makes us nostalgic.

Oddity of the Week: Autumn on the Wissahickon

Autumn on the Wissahickon.

Nothing odd about this scene of a man fishing along the banks of Wissahickon Creek in Pennsylvania on a perfect fall day. Nothing, of course, except for the total lack on carparks, telephone poles, or jet contrails to mar the idyll.

Life was slower in 1880. People took their time. Think about it: there wasn't a major war on, the threat level wasn't orange, or purple, or any other odd shade of the rainbow. In fact, the only colours to be thinking about were the ones on the trees. A fellow could ruminate to his heart's content while waiting for an unwary fish to swim by.

We're grateful to the people who captured this moment for us: WR Hallowell, who painted it, and the Resteins, Edward and Ludwig, who were responsible for the chromolithography. We're also grateful to 1880 for being so quiet – and the Wissahickon for flowing so smoothly back then. Thanks go to the Library of Congress, too, for saving a bit of our artistic heritage for us.

The Wissahickon flows into the Schuylkill River. There's a park there now. It's part of Philadelphia. Edgar Allen Poe and John Greenleaf Whittier visited there, so that fisherman was in good company.

We hope he caught lots of fish.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

24.09.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87771748

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more