Elections: Answers

0 Conversations

How democratically-minded were you?

Elections – Answers

The most famous Greek temple, the Parthenon, on the sacred rock of the Acropolis.

Here are the answers.

  1. What did an ancient Athenian citizen use for a ballot?
    An ostracon. This was a piece of broken pottery. Sometimes, Athenians voted to send one of their number into exile, using this method – the origin of the word 'ostracism'.
  2. When did China hold its first elections?
    1912. Sun Yat-sen was elected President by the Senate following that historic election.
  3. In ancient Rome, how did you register to vote?
    You had to become a member of a tribe. If you didn't have one, one would be assigned to you.
  4. In ancient Rome, what did candidates wear?
    White togas. Also known as the 'toga candidata', which is where the word comes from.
  5. Which of these countries has the oldest parliamentary system?
    Iceland. The Alþing, founded in 930 at þingvellir, is the oldest extant parliamentary institution in the world.
  6. If you were Elector of Brandenburg, what did your title mean?
    You got to vote for the Holy Roman Emperor. The German word was 'Kurfürst', from an old German word meaning 'to choose'.
  7. In the 18th Century, how did you become a leader of the Iroquois?
    You won an election. The Iroquois taught North American settlers a lot about how to run a democracy. They'd been doing it for centuries.
  8. What power did Iroquois women have in government?
    The power of impeachment. Yes, if the ladies believed you did have sex with that woman, they could boot you out and choose a replacement. Ben Franklin thought this was a good idea, but the Continental Congress wasn't having any.
  9. In the 21st Century, how do you become Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation?
    You win an election. A no-brainer, this one. Check out the website.
  10. Which country gave women limited voting rights first?
    Sweden. 1862 for local elections. Prussia, on the other hand, passed a law in 1851 that said women couldn't attend a meeting in which political issues were discussed. We suppose it was bad for their skin, or something.

If you got them all, elect yourself leader of the procession to the pizza parlour for a celebration. If you got too many wrong, do penance by sorting out your collection of antique campaign buttons.

A ballot box.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

12.11.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87776400

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more