Freebie Film Tip #23: 007, American Style

0 Conversations

Freebie Film Tip #23: 007, American Style

More time-travel TV enjoyment coming right up. Can you hear the 007 music in the background?

You've seen the latest Bond film. But do you know the first on-screen appearance of James Bond, Agent 007?

Bet you don't. It was on US TV in 1954. Yes, in his first screen appearance, Bond was an American.

Barry Nelson played the man with the licence to kill. Peter Lorre played the bad guy, Le Chiffre. The whole thing was filmed live on a show called Climax!. (Quiet in the back.)

Climax! had its moments, since many of its episodes were filmed live. Its version of Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye made TV history when the corpse (played by the aptly-named Tristram Coffin) got up and left while the cameras were still running. Oh, the joy.

In this production, admire the elegance. Note the hot Bond girl – what a babe in her New Look gown.

Note the suavity of our superspy. We only regret the lack of helicopters and CGI-enhanced lift crashes. In this one, nobody drowns in an aesthetically pleasing way, while Venice crumbles. Oh, well, can't have everything. At least Lorre attempts to off Bond in a suitably ridiculous manner. Hang on for the bathtub scene, it's worth it.

The name's Bond... James Bond.

Those who wish to complete their collection of Bond material will see this performance as a 'must-have'. The rest of you may view this as an amusing television oddity.

Me, I think I'd rather go back and watch Dr Bashir in the holosuite. He was the coolest. Cue 'The Hawk'. . .

PS If you can't get enough of Climax!, you might want to watch Gore Vidal's version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. The moral: never drink anything you mixed in a lab. We mean it.

Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87778183

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more