The Post Quiz: Failed Predictions

1 Conversation

What do you know about. . .

The Post Quiz: Failed Predictions

At New Year's, all sorts of people put on their prognosticators' hats. Like most famous psychics, these prognosticators hope that we will only remember what they said when they were right – but in these skeptical days of the World Wide Web, they are doomed to disappointment. See if you can remember who said what.

Match the lousy prediction with the lousy predictor.

PredictionPredictor
  1. It will be years – not in my time – before a woman will become Prime Minister.
  2. I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
  3. A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth’s atmosphere.
  4. Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
  5. The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys.
  6. Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?
  7. There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.
  8. The bomb will never go off. I speak as an expert in explosives.
  9. Guitar music is on the way out.
  10. I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious sensibilities of anyone.
  • Lord Kelvin.
  • Albert Einstein.
  • Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM.
  • Charles Darwin.
  • The British Post Office.
  • New York Times.
  • Margaret Thatcher.
  • Decca Records.
  • Admiral Leahy.
  • HM Warner.

Look into the crystal ball for the answers.

Let me look into my crystal ball.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

31.12.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87781035

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more