Classical Music in Popular Culture: Answers

1 Conversation

Were you hip?

Classical Music in Popular Culture: Answers

A vinyl<br/>
record

You're probably so cultured, you could beat Zaphod Beeblebrox at this quiz. No? Count the arms. And check the answers.

The composers, matched to their best-known popular uses.

Pop-Culture ReferenceComposer
  1. The opening of Bambi Meets Godzilla.


  2. 'Kill da wabbit!'


  3. "This is the cereal that's shot from guns!'


  4. Olive Oyl dancing ballet in spring.


  5. Christmas season in the Mall. Or a restaurant. Or at your child's recital. Or anywhere, really.


  6. 'A Groovy Kind of Love.'


  7. At the circus.


  8. 'I'm a stranger in Paradise. . . '


  9. The monolith in space. Need we say more? I'm sorry, I can't do that, Dave. . .


  10. In faux-medieval video games. At Pittsburgh Pirate home games. In the film Excalibur. At the annual matriculation ceremony of the University of Oslo. . . and anywhere else you can think of that's over-the-top.
  1. Gioachino Rossini. The Wilhelm Tell Overture. After awhile, it gets livelier, and starts playing the Lone Ranger theme.
  2. Richard Wagner, who would have hated this gross misuse of his Ride of the Valkyries. We don't. He deserved it. Ho yo to ho!
  3. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikowsky. The guns are appropriate, being original. See this stirring performance.
  4. Felix Mendelssohn. It's a lovely 'Spring Song'. Or not.
  5. Johann Pachelbel. When hearing it while consuming chalupas, we refer to this as the 'Taco Bell Canon'.
  6. Muzio Clementi. The groovy tune comes from the Rondo of his Sonatina in G Major.
  7. Julius Fucik. It's called 'Entry of the Gladiators', and it's when they send in the clowns.
  8. Alexander Borodin. Don't we just love Russians? Kismet stole lots of his stuff, including the 'Polovtsian Dances'.
  9. Richard Strauss. Yeah, Also sprach Zarathustra, na also. . . Also popular as a ringtone. Dig it, Nietzsche fans.
  10. Carl Orff. Yeah, that loud thing is called 'O Fortuna', and it's from Carmina Burana.

How well did you do? We have a better question: how long will it take you to get these earworms out of your head? Evil chuckle, here.

An orchestra
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

21.01.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87782917

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more