Family Photos

2 Conversations

An old-fashioned British family.


Family photos. You probably have boxes of them in your house, as I have. It can be fascinating to look through them, because they show how people lived - from the clothes they wore to the entertainments they chose. Recent photos trigger memories - that was the cycling holiday when it rained every day; that was the cake I made for my son's first birthday. You can spend a long time poring over older ones which show previous generations, and working out which relative was which. You may have heard inspiring or poignant stories.


For example, here is a photo from my collection. It was taken during the First World War and shows three generations of my father's family. My father is the little boy at the front. In the back row stands his father, in the uniform of a British Army sergeant. The direct gaze and the slight smile under the moustache suggest a brave and humorous man. I know my grandfather was brave, because he won the Distinguished Conduct Medal, but he was killed in 1917 and my Dad grew up without a father.


This brings me to the challenge for this month, which is to find an interesting photograph - one that shows several people is probably best - and tell us about it. You can do this in one of three ways.


  • If your photo features a place you know well, or a period of history in which you are interested, use it to inspire an Edited Guide article.

  • Or send the Post a digital copy of your photograph (paper ones should be scanned into the computer) and explain what it means to you. The Post needs them to be no larger than 400 x 400 pixels, but can resize if necessary.

  • Or use the photo to inspire a story or a poem. Use your imagination. Ask yourself, for example, what the bridesmaid is thinking during the wedding. Tell us her view of the proceedings.


Whichever option you choose, we'll be looking forward to seeing your photos and reading their stories.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87783592

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more