February Create: Learning the Ways of the Sea

1 Conversation

Another personal story for February's Create Challenge. This one is nautical.

Learning the Ways of the Sea

Florida Sailor rows his older brother across the lake.

In this photo I am rowing my older brother across the lake.

Central New York State has about a dozen long, narrow, lakes. They all run in a north – south direction. Although the Native American tradition is that they were left when the Great Creator ran his hand across the land he had formed to show how pleased he was with it, scientists say they are just the scars left by the last retreating glacier from the 'Ice Age'.

While I was growing up my family would take our summer vacation at Honeoye Lake (the name is derived from a Seneca Indian term meaning 'Lying finger', or 'where the finger lies') in central New York State1. The second smallest of the 'Finger Lakes', its shoreline is crowded by fishing camps and private homes, the slopes above are primarily farming properties.

It was here, during our brief escape from the city, I first learned the joy and independence of being on the water. At first I was only allowed to row for a few minutes at a time between the piers. Eventually I was allowed to venture into the lake itself if I had a supervisor on the boat with me. My brother, who was four years older, was considered qualified for this task.

Finding faces in the fire.

We had many adventures at the lake, including catching 'crabs' (actually crawdads) and conducting races. Every night we would have a bonfire. My Mother taught us to look into the embers and find the 'face', if you look closely enough into the embers of a fire, and have enough imagination, you can always find a face.

In later years, fully grown and having been in command of much larger vessels, I still remember the lessons learned so long ago.


'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.'
 
– Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
The First-Person Stories Archive

Florida Sailor

25.02.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1This was before we moved to Florida.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87785761

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more