The Post Quiz: Alcoholic Beverages In The Edited Guide - Answers

0 Conversations

Sober up and check your answers. Coffee's coming.

Alcoholic Beverages in the Edited Guide: Answers

The exterior of Port Street Beer House, Manchester.

How many of these did you know? We'll bet some of you could drink Pastey under the table.

Well, maybe not drink him under the table. But you might have known more of the answers.

Filling in the blanks:

  1. Ales were the earliest forms of beer. They are fermented at warm temperatures by yeasts that float on the surface of the wort (unfermented fluid). See Beer – What Makes it Lager or Ale?
  2. It might well be called a Doberman in a jar; 'Black and Tan' is the name given to an alcoholic drink comprising a 'mixture' of ale and stout, or sometimes lager and stout. From Black and Tan – A Beer Cocktail.
  3. Many men have gone through life sipping beer and whisky, though few have made a career of it. Perhaps only one, English journalist Michael Jackson, managed to convert sips of fermented grain into prose that would ignite the imaginations of brewers, whisky makers, and drinkers alike. Read all about Michael Jackson – The Beer Hunter.
  4. The Haunch of Venison in Salisbury has the smoke-mummified hand of an 18th Century gambler on show behind a sheet of glass in one of the rooms. So says Pubs with Tales.
  5. A total of 1,224,000 litres of beer under pressure smashed through the twenty-five foot high brick wall of the building, and gushed out into the surrounding area - the slum of St Giles. This, of course, was during The London Beer Flood of 1814.
  6. Although served in a variety of ways, the basic components of a Jägerbomb are reassuringly consistent. You'll need one shot of Jägermeister, a can of Red Bull energy drink and either a Jägerbomb cup or, more commonly, a shot glass and a larger glass (normally a half pint glass) which the shot glass fits comfortably inside. This thrilling informationcan be had from The Jägerbomb – the Cocktail with a Bang.
  7. Part of the whole Margarita-drinking experience is in your surroundings, so do your best. Ideally, you should be on a beach on the Gulf of Mexico, though any fantastic beach would work, or even no beach, if you're unfortunate enough not to be near one. Learn How to Make and Enjoy a Very Good Margarita.
  8. The fact that the finished article 'tastes like a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick', suggests the sharpness, if not the taste, of fresh lemon in the final product. Thussays Pastey in his Pan-Galactic Gargle Blasters.
  9. Two adventurers were packing for a safari and one of them was packing a pint of gin and a pint of vermouth. When the other adventurer asked why, the first replied, 'In case we get lost I'll mix a Martini, someone will show up to argue that I did it wrong, and then we're saved! See? The Edited Guide has got your back with The Art of the Martini.
  10. ...if the idea of imbibing privately-distilled poitín has scared you, here are two little tests to detect it. If you come across some of the 'bog water', pour a little into a saucer and light it. If it burns with a blue flame it's more than likely not too bad, but if it burns with any other flame – run away quickly. LeRue includes this safety information in his informative Poitín – Irish Whiskey.

How did you do? If you're feeling smug about it, trot this quiz out at your local one night. A variation: everybody has to drink one of whatever they missed the question about. Jägermeister, anyone?

German beer being served at the Hofbraeukeller Beer Garden.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

11.03.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87787381

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more