The Post Quiz: April Fool

0 Conversations

Look at the date.

The Post Quiz: April Fool

Are you one of those jolly jokers who goes around fooling people on 1 April? Or are you one of the grumps who fusses when he gets caught out by an April Fool's Day gag?

Either way, test out your knowledge of great April Fool's japes of the past.

  1. In 1957, what did the BBC claim grew on trees (that didn't)?
  2. On 1 April 2012, what did the Edited Guide claim would help you learn to understand computer code, if you wore it on your head?
  3. According to the April 1985 issue of Sports Illustrated, where did Sidd Finch learn to throw a baseball at 168 miles per hour?
  4. On 1 April 1962, Swedish TV's technical expert, Kjell Stensson, announced to excited viewers that they could turn their black-and-white TV sets into colour sets by using an easy trick. What did lots of gullible Swedes do?
  5. 1 April 1996: what US company announced to the world that it had acquired 'naming rights' to the Liberty Bell?
  6. According to the 1 April 1977 issue of The Guardian, what island group consisted of Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse?
  7. On 1 April 1998, the newsletter New Mexicans for Science and Reason told the world that the US state of Alabama's legislature had changed the value of pi to an even 3.0. What reason was given for this step?
  8. The 1 April 1995 issue of Discover Magazine introduced a rare creature, the Hotheaded Ice Borer, which had very warm bony plates on their heads with which they could bore into ice. What was said to be their favourite food?
  9. The late Sir Patrick Moore was a good sport. (He even appeared in a homemade scifi movie.) On 1 April 1976, he announced that the alignment of Jupiter and Pluto with the Earth was going to do what?
  10. What space pioneer landed a UFO (read: UFO-shaped balloon) outside London on 31 March 1969? (He got blown off course and landed early, so sue him. No, don't, he has lawyers like you wouldn't believe.)

How good a trickster were you? Click on the UFO to find out.

A possible explanation of the Conisholme wind farm damage.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.04.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87789325

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more