Charles The First Of England - War and Defeat

0 Conversations

A Battle Of Wills

Elizabeth I was the last monarchs who held the reigns of power firmly in her hands. James was different he had developed a strong belief in the divine right of kings, as God’s appointed and anointed leader.

This was to start the process of decline of the power of the English monarchy. James who firmly believed that, God makes kings, and God is never wrong, so a king appointed by God is never wrong. This tenet was known as the divine right of kings.

The Parliament of the period did not assemble regularly, it was called at the monarchs command as it was required. This meant the Parliament as was called at the kings will and it was expected to do as James told it was. The Parliament was an assembly similar to the Roman Senate to advise and support the king, enact the laws, pass taxes and administer the country in the name of the monarch. And do as the king told it and not to argue against the Royal will.

James was however at an enormous disadvantage James needed Parliament more than Parliament needed him. They controlled the finances of the realm and they could keep and could keep James short of much needed funds.

An example of their power to make life difficult for James came in 1611. Custom duties of the realm formed a substantial part of the kings income. Parliament had originally granted the crown permission to collect this duty, it revoked this in an attempt to bring the king to heal. James responded by dissolving Parliament without the mandate of Parliament had no power to assemble. This engaged parliamentary members who regarded it as their legitimate duty to run England. It was a serious matter as James was to keep this suspension in force for 10 years. It ended with James reluctantly issuing a summons of assembly in November 1620, due to a serious shortage of Royal funds1.

The kings Privy Council was made up of some the most powerful men in the country. They were appointed to deal with the kings day to day business and were given the task of governing as best they could. James simply took over the administration of the country appointing members of the nobility to assist him. They actually made a reasonable job of it and the country functioned well, it was to lead to trouble later.

.But this engaged parliamentary members who regarded it as their legitimate duty to run England.



19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625 25 July 1603

Causes of War

War

- - -

1James had assured financial independence from Parliament buy various ways including:-
  • By issuing grants of monopoly.
  • The sale of titles and knighthoods no one refused the offered honour.
  • The sale Dutch Towns of Brill and Flushing in 1616.
  • The dowry bride for Prince Charles of £500,000.

  • .

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87797056

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more