The Post Quiz: Made in the UK - Answers

0 Conversations

Take a trip down memory lane.

Made in the UK Answers

A Foor Packet Label showing Brain's Faggots.

The first question asked when students of English as Foreign Language get together is, 'You eat WHAT?'

Matching the product to its fact.

FactProduct
  1. 'Deceptively like crude oil in appearance.'
  2. Originally called 'Johnston's Fluid Beef'.
  3. One of those 'patent concoctions emerging from the dark satanic grime of the Industrial Revolution.'
  4. Also known as 'mother's ruin'.
  5. Connected in myth to Mary, Queen of Scots.
  6. What's in it 'is a subject possibly best left unresearched.'
  7. Named by 'drunken sailors'.
  8. This Australian favourite is 'possibly the most disgusting semi-edible bread spread in the world.'
  9. Invented by the landlord of an oyster bar in London's financial district.
  10. Invented by Heinz, but popular in the UK as 'the world's first socialist sauce.'
  1. Marmite.
  2. Bovril.
  3. HP Sauce.
  4. Old Tom's Gin.
  5. Orange marmalade.
  6. Brain's Faggots.
  7. Pusser's Rum.
  8. Vegemite.
  9. Pimm's No 1.
  10. Salad cream.

If you knew them all, you should probably see your nutritionist. Share this quiz with your friends. The ones who don't watch the cooking shows.

Don't see your favourite drink/horrible condiment in the Guide? What are you waiting for? Tell everybody about it.

PS. My fellow North Americans: I cannot make a quiz of this magnitude about our pop cuisine from the Edited Guide. You know why. Get out there and write annoying Guide Entries about cracker jack, pronto pups, and the joys of the Waffle House.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

3.06.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87797308

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more